Saturday, September 12, 2009

No Stalking On Sunday

Saturdaze morning. Tired? Hung-over? Things got you down? Then we've got something that'll wake you up. A good, swift, hardboiled-pulp-noir kick right where it hurts ... in That Killing Feeling.

Onto today's joint from A DISH BEST KILLED, and this one's a real poboiler. It's the end of the idyllic three-day tryst for our star-crossed lesbian lovers, D-movie starlet/femme fatale Haven Crayce and her very 'personal' trainer, Jett Cargo, when Haven's husband, noted elderly film director Dart Crayce returns home from the hospital.

They then decide to kill him.

Later that evening ...

But first, Jett has an unexpected visitor.


EXT. 'THE SAFE HAVEN' HOUSEBOAT - REAR DECK - MORNING
Overcast and foggy. A bit of a chill. Wind FLAPS the sails.
Jett trains Haven on the deck. They both look sad.

HAVEN
Funny. No Trimmer. No Nola.

JETT
No stalking on Sunday.
(beat)
What time is he supposed to get here?

HAVEN
Any minute now.

JETT
These last three days have been -- nice.
Really nice. It went by so fast.

HAVEN
Imagine what it’s going to be like after he’s --

JETT
I know. It’s all I can think about.

HAVEN
So when are we going to --

JETT
I don’t know.
Maybe we should wait a little while.

HAVEN
I can’t wait. I can’t stand it anymore, Jett.
I don’t wanna have to -- service him anymore.
I want this to be over with, so we can be together.
(stops lifting)
We have to do it tonight.

JETT
Tonight?

HAVEN
Yeah. We’ve only known each other a few days,
so no one will suspect there’s anything going on.

JETT
That’s true.

HAVEN
(evil smile)
And besides, I’m doing all the heavy lifting.
(sees something)
There’s the hospital van. You better get going.

JETT
Okay. Good luck. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.

HAVEN
I don’t think the grieving widow should be weight training.
I’ll come see you.

JETT
You’re right.
(turns, eyes well up)
Okay, bye --

Jett hustles off down the gangplank in the other direction.

PUSH IN ON Haven. Looking to her right. Concerned smile.

HAVEN
Dart, honey! It’s so good to SEE you.

EXT. JETT’S APARTMENT BUILDING - MOMENTS LATER
Jett pulls out her keys. Opens her mailbox.
Sifts through the envelopes.
Unlocks, opens the front door.

MALE VOICE (O.C.)
Jett --

She WHIRLS around, sees --

RUSH MADDER
in the shadows of the front porch.

JETT
WHAT?
(beat)
Jesus fucking Christ, you scared the shit out of me.

RUSH
Jett, please -- I need your help.

JETT
I asked you to stay away from me.
I’ll call the fucking cops if you don’t leave, now.

RUSH
I’ve been -- up for eight days.
I need, need to -- need to crash.

JETT
EIGHT days?

RUSH
Please, Jett.
I just need to -- to crash for awhile.
Then I promise I’ll go. I promise.
(beat)
I need your help. Please.

JETT
Can’t you sleep in your car?

RUSH
In this neighborhood? In MY car?
(off her stare)
I’ll be good. I promise.
I just -- need to sleep.

Pause.

JETT
Goddammit.
(beat)
Give me your car keys.

RUSH
My -- keys?

JETT
Yeah. So you can’t rip me off
and split in the middle of the night.

RUSH
(weak smile, tosses his keys)
How big is your couch?

No comments:

Post a Comment