Friday, September 25, 2009

Lock, Stock And Two Smokin' Million

Happy Friday, crime slicksters. Are you ready for the weak-end? Ready to let one rip? Grab the world by the balls? Then come on over and get some hot-blooded, hardboiled pulp/noir action, at the coolest joint in town ... at That Killing Feeling.

Onto today's scenario from A DISH BEST KILLED, where the lambs are about to go to the slaughter.

First up, homicide detective Cal Seely questions his no. 1 suspect in the killing of film director Dart Crayce, his widow's adulterous lover Jett Targo ...

While said widow, Haven Crayce, begins their getaway plan ...


INT. JETT’S APARTMENT - LATE AFTERNOON
Cal Seely stands in the doorway. Jett holds open the door.

CAL
Jett Targo?

JETT
Uh-huh.

CAL
Cal Seely, Sheriff’s office, homicide.
I’d like to come in and ask you a few questions.
(beat)
If you don’t mind.

JETT
No, no -- not at all. Come in.

He lumbers into the large studio apartment.

CAL
Thanks.
(looks around)
Nice and airy.
Must cost a fortune,
being right on the canal.

JETT
(bad fake laugh)
You’re not kidding.
(beat)
Can I get you anything -- some water?

CAL
No, thanks. I’m fine.

Jett sits on the couch. Smiles hopefully.

JETT
Have a seat.

CAL
No can do. Back is in spasm.
If I sit, I might not be able to get up again.
(strange laugh)
And I’m sure you don’t want a dick stuck in your house.

JETT
Uh, no --

CAL
Did you know a woman by the name of -- Nola Bliss?

JETT
She’s, uh -- the neighbor of one of my clients, Haven Crayce.

CAL
Was the neighbor.

JETT
Was? You mean something -- happened to her?

CAL
Nothing 'happened' to her. She was murdered.
We found her body in the trunk of a car that was towed --
(pulls out a notebook)
Belonging to a man by the named of Rush Madder, from Long Beach.
(beat)
You know him?

JETT
No, sorry. Never heard of him.

CAL
Funny. The car was parked right down the street from here.

JETT
Huh.
(beat)
Small world.

CAL
Where were you on the night of the 25th?

JETT
Uh -- that was Tuesday, right?
(off his nod)
I was home, watching a movie.

CAL
What movie?

JETT
A Dish Best Killed.

CAL
How ironic.

JETT
Ironic?

Pause.

CAL
Thanks for your time.
(gives her his card)
Here’s my number.
Give me a call if you remember anything.
(beat)
And please don’t leave town.
I might have some more -- questions for you.

PUSH IN ON Jett. Nodding. Faking nonchalance. Badly.

INT./EXT. VINTAGE CADILLAC CONVERTIBLE - MOMENTS LATER
A ‘68 model in candy apple red with a black leather interior.
The kind I’ll be able to afford when I sell this screenplay.

Haven drives up Via Marina with the top down
in shades and a big scarf, the wind WHIPPING her hair.
She talks on her cell.

HAVEN
Calm down, calm down. They don’t have anything.

INTERCUT WITH:

EXT. JETT’S APARTMENT BUILDING - ROOF DECK - CONTINUOUS
Jett paces, sips from a bottle of beer. Talks on her cell.

JETT
But they towed his CAR. They found -- her.

HAVEN
But he’s -- gone.

JETT
I know, I know, it’s just -- he knows something.
I can feel it.
(beat)
We gotta get the fuck out of Dodge.
What happened at the reading of the will?

HAVEN
It’s all mine, baby.
Lock, stock and two smokin’ million.

JETT
And the cash?

HAVEN
I just left the bank.
(smiles)
Got eight-hundred thousand under the hood.
That’s what I call horsepower.

JETT
You took out ALL of it?
Didn’t we agree it would be a good idea to leave --

HAVEN
Change of plan, baby. I closed the account.
Told them I was leaving the country.
Needed to start over, a new life.

JETT
Leaving the country?

HAVEN
We’re going to Mexico.
Find a place on the beach where it’s warm all the time
and it’s running hot and cold Margaritas.

JETT
(looks)
I see your car. I’ll be right down.

She pulls out a snifter.
HONKS up a bump. Grimaces.

JETT
(to herself)
Guess it's time for a hit and run holiday --

No comments:

Post a Comment