Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Prisoner


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Hump Day. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 35 of THE INVISIBLE GIRL, homicide detective Hart Klavan and rookie cop Lane Diamond supervise Lonny's arrest, then get up close and personal ...


INT. VENISON POLICE HEADQUARTERS - CORRIDOR - NIGHT
Pale-puke walls. The usual shitty,
out-of-date institutional ambiance.

A UNIFORMED OFFICER
leads Lonny into a cell.

Closes the barred door.
Locks it. Nods. Shuffles away.

Lane and Hart stand nearby, watching.
See how freaked out he is.
Hart walks up to the bars.

HART
You did real good, Lonny.
Just keep your head up.
It’s going to be okay.

LONNY
How long will I have to stay here?

HART
Your uncle will be
here in the morning.
Then he’ll post bail
and you’ll be released.

Lonny nods.
Looks like he’s about to cry.

LANE
Don’t be scared.
It’s just one night.

LONNY
Okay. Thanks.

HART
Can we get you anything to eat?

PUSH IN ON Lonny’s face.
Starving. Relieved.

LONNY
Could you get me some --
American Burger?

EXT. VENISON POLICE HEADQUARTER - PARKING LOT - NIGHT
Hart walks over to his car.
Presses the auto-lock with a THWIP.

He opens the door.
Starts to get in.

LANE (V.O.)
You were really great with Lonny.

Reveal LANE. Standing nearby.
Fidgeting awkwardly.

HART
(turns, sees her, smiles)
Thanks --
(sighs)
Hopefully this’ll scare
the shit out of him,
get his act together.
(off her look)
What’s wrong? You okay?

LANE
I -- owe you an apology.

HART
What for?

LANE
I lied when I said I was gay.
(off his look)
I say that to keep men away.
After years of being abused
by guys, I don’t trust them.
(beat)
I mean, I’m bi -- but I DO date guys.

HART
Are you hitting on me?

LANE
Hell, no.

He narrows his eyes.
Lips curl into a hint of a smile.

HART
Why don’t we go grab a cup of coffee.
Talk about the prom.

LANE
You mean --

HART
Relax. Strictly business.
So don’t be expecting
a corsage or anything --

No comments:

Post a Comment