Thursday, March 24, 2016

Date Night


Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 24 of FRANKENSTEIN IN LOVE, science genius nerd Frankie Stein's dead cheerleader 'girlfriend' Shayla Petrie is feeling 'cooped up' in the tree house she's been hiding in, and wants to go out on 'a date' with Frankie. Meanwhile, Frankie's best friend Josh is tired of having to keep his big secret and puts his foot down ...


INT. FRANKIE’S KITCHEN - DAY
Frankie opens up the fridge.
Starts searching for a snack.

Then hears a car door SLAM outside.
He hurries out the back door.

Julie walks into the kitchen.
Puts down her bag. Sighs.

INT. TREE HOUSE - DAY
Shayla lays on the futon watching TV.
Eyes glued. Entranced.

SHAYLA
Tell him -- pregnant --

The door opens.
Frankie walks in. Closes it.

SHAYLA
Home -- early?

FRANKIE
Had an emergency I
had to take care of.
What are you watching?

SHAYLA
Days Of -- Our World.
(looks at him)
Want to -- go on -- date.

FRANKIE
A date?

SHAYLA
(points at the TV)
Like -- them.
(beat)
Go -- outside. Feel -- cooped up.

FRANKIE
Okay --

Frankie’s cell phone RINGS.
He answers it.

FRANKIE
Hello?

INTERCUT WITH:

INT. HIGH SCHOOL CORRIDOR - DAY
Josh weaves through the
throng of kids on their way
to class talking on his smart-phone.

JOSH
Where are you?
You weren’t in chem lab.

FRANKIE
I had a -- emergency --

JOSH
Don’t tell me.
I don’t want to know.
(beat)
I can’t take it anymore, Frankie.
I’m gonna turn myself in.

FRANKIE
NO. You CAN’T do that --

JOSH
I can’t eat, I can’t sleep --
I can’t take it anymore, Frankie.

FRANKIE
Something’s come up.
I need to see you. It’s urgent.

JOSH
I don’t see the point in --

FRANKIE
PLEASE, Josh.
I can’t talk about it on the phone.
Meet me at Ohio Burger Kitchen
in half an hour, okay?
I need to talk to you.
It’s IMPORTANT.

JOSH
I dunno --

FRANKIE
Josh, we’ve been friends
since we were SIX.
I gave you your
first copy of PLAYBOY --

JOSH
Okay, okay. I’ll meet you there.

They both hang up.
PUSH IN ON Josh’s face.
Exasperated.

No comments:

Post a Comment