Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Tricks Of The Trade


Happy X, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 7 of Spiral, stars in his eyes, after much anticipation, Dex finally takes Andy to go visit internationally famous adult film star Savannah at her Hollywood Hills home ...


INT. DEX'S APARTMENT - NIGHT
Dex sits on the edge of his bed wearing
boxer shorts and sipping a glass of wine.

Peter, the stud from the club
walks into the room.

PETER
Everything okay?

DEX
Yeah, fine.
I felt the earth move.

Dex goes to the door and opens it.

DEX
I've got an early call
tomorrow morning. Sorry.

Peter puts on his jacket
and goes to the door.

PETER
I'll call you.

DEX
You do that.

PETER
Thanks for the blow.

DEX
Which one?

PETER
What?

DEX
Never mind. See ya.

Peter leaves. Dex goes to the phone
in the kitchen and dials a number.

INT. ANDY'S BEDROOM - NIGHT
Andy is asleep.
The lights are out.

Suddenly the phone RINGS.
Andy picks up the receiver.

ANDY
(groggy)
Hello?

SPLIT SCREEN OF ANDY AND DEX

DEX
Hey. It's me. Did I wake you?

ANDY
Yeah, but it's okay. What's up?

DEX
I just got laid.
Just wanted to say hi.

ANDY
We're still on for tomorrow night?

DEX
Of course, silly. Go back to sleep.
Call me tomorrow morning. Good night.

ANDY
Good night.

They each hang up the phone.

INT. ANDY'S BEDROOM - SAME
Andy sits up in bed.

ANDY
Fuck.

INT. SHANNON'S BATHROOM - NIGHT
Shannon lies in the Jacuzzi amidst
the steam and swirling bubbles.

Candles flicker in the dim light.
She snorts a couple bumps of blow.

She stares into space, expressionless.
A single tear trickles down her cheek.

SPLIT SCREEN WITH DEX'S BEDROOM - SAME
Dex looks out his bedroom window
down at the action on Hollywood Boulevard.

Wide-eyed and wired,
he surveys the hookers,
dealers and the homeless.
Sips his glass of wine.

ADD SPLIT SCREEN WITH ANDY'S BALCONY - SAME
Andy looks down at the lights of Beverly Hills.
He smiles and sips a beer.

ANDY (V.O.)
I guess we all wanted different
things from each other.
We were so different from each other.
I wanted to live the glamorous life.
I'm still not sure exactly what Dex wanted.
I do know he wanted Shannon to like him.
(beat)
And Shannon.
She just wanted someone to love her.
(beat)
With her clothes on.

EXT. VENTURA BOULEVARD - NIGHT
Super - December 15, 1993. Nine P.M.

It's a nice, clear night in the Valley.
Andy and Dex drive in Dex's Jeep.

The radio plays soaring,
over-the-top Europop,
similar to the Pet Shop boys,
A Flock of Seagulls, etc.

ANDY
Look at that. Santa's wearing shorts.
Christmas doesn't work in California, I'm sorry. I
I bet that bulge in his pants is a cell phone.

Dex cracks up.

DEX
Andy.
There's no reason to be nervous.
She's dying to meet you.

ANDY
I know.
I just want to make a good impression.

Dex hands Andy the cocaine inhaler,
which he grabs like a life preserver.

DEX
Don't worry. She's gonna love you.
Just be yourself.

Andy takes a couple of snorts.
Hands it back to Dex.

ANDY
Shit. And I was gonna be Brad Pitt.

EXT. DRIVEWAY - NIGHT
The Jeep pulls in front of Shannon's house.
Lights blaze in the windows.
The faint sound of music
trickles into the night.

ANDY (V.O.)
I had played this scene out in my head
over and over all week, but the reality of it --
I felt like one of the tired and
poor immigrants landing on Ellis Island.
I felt like I was about to
go on stage on opening night.
Like I was an altar boy
about to receive communion.
(beat)
From a gorgeous, blonde superstar.

No comments:

Post a Comment