Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Tough Nut


Happy Tuesday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 18 of FRANKENSTEIN IN LOVE, sparks fly between officer Chet Beverage and CDC agent Beck Driver while investigating Frankie's reanimated rat. Meanwhile, Josh feels guilty about covering up Shayla's disappearance, and delivers an ultimate to Frankie ...


EXT. FRANKIE’S HOUSE - FRONT DOOR - DAY
Chet and Beck stand on the front stoop.

Chet RINGS the bell.

BECK
Nobody’s home.
Let’s come back later
.
CHET
Hold on a sec.
Maybe she’s taking a shit.

BECK
That’s disgusting.

CHET
Haven’t you ever been uncoiling
a sidewinder and the doorbell rang?

BECK
First of all, I’m a petite flower.
I don’t 'uncoil side-winders.'

CHET
Well, excuse me, big-city gal.
I guess your shit doesn’t stink.

BECK
You got THAT right.

He RINGS the bell again.

CHET
I know what your problem is.

BECK
Oh, really --

CHET
You need to get laid.

BECK
Fuck off.

CHET
Look.
Your cheeks are turning red.
I’m RIGHT.

BECK
(points at his belly)
Time to make the donuts --

CHET
Hey.
No need to be nasty.

BECK
You can dish it out,
but you can’t take it, huh?
Small-town HICK.

Pause.

CHET
I’m sorry.
I shouldn’t have --
(low)
It’s, uh -- been awhile for me, too.
Kinda -- frustrated.

They stare at each other.

BECK
(low)
Sucks, huh --

CHET
Whattaya say we get some coffee
and come back later. My treat.

BECK
That would -- be nice.

They start walking back to the car.

CHET
You’re not such a tough nut after all.

BECK
Tell anyone, and I’ll fucking kill you --

INT. FRANKIE’S BASEMENT LAB - DAY
The electronic equipment
near the workbench is gone.

In it’s place is a gerbil in a cage.
A child’s chemistry set. Microscope.
An X-box and a stack of videogames.

FRANKIE
My god, how dull.
(sighs)
Should work.

He SNAPS a padlock shut
on a big cabinet.

Shuts off the lights.
Goes to the stairs.

INT. FRANKIE’S KITCHEN - DAY
Frankie opens up the fridge.
Starts searching for a snack.

Then hears a car door SLAM outside.
He hurries out the back door.

Julie walks into the kitchen.
Puts down her bag. Sighs.

INT. TREE HOUSE - DAY
Shayla lays on the futon watching TV.
Eyes glued. Entranced.

SHAYLA
Tell him -- pregnant --

The door opens.
Frankie walks in.
Closes it.

SHAYLA
Home -- early?

FRANKIE
Had an emergency I had to take care of.
What are you watching?

SHAYLA
Days Of -- Our World.
(looks at him)
Want to -- go on -- date.

FRANKIE
A date?

SHAYLA
(points at the TV)
Like -- them.
(beat)
Go -- outside.
Feel -- cooped up.

FRANKIE
Okay --

Frankie’s cell phone RINGS.
He answers it.

FRANKIE
Hello?

INTERCUT WITH:

INT. HIGH SCHOOL CORRIDOR - DAY
Josh weaves through the throng
of kids on their way to class
talking on his smart-phone.

JOSH
Where are you?
You weren’t in chem lab.

FRANKIE
I had a -- emergency --

JOSH
Don’t tell me.
I don’t want to know.
(beat)
I can’t take it anymore, Frankie.
I’m gonna turn myself in.

FRANKIE
NO.
You CAN’T do that --

JOSH
I can’t eat, I can’t sleep --
I can’t take it anymore, Frankie.

FRANKIE
Something’s come up.
I need to see you.
It’s urgent.

JOSH
I don’t see the point in --

FRANKIE
PLEASE, Josh.
I can’t talk about it on the phone.
Meet me at Ohio Burger Kitchen
in half an hour, okay?
I need to talk to you.
It’s IMPORTANT.

JOSH
I dunno --

FRANKIE
Josh, we’ve been friends
since we were SIX.
I gave you your
first copy of PLAYBOY --

JOSH
Okay, okay.
I’ll meet you there.

They both hang up.
PUSH IN ON Josh’s face.
Exasperated.

No comments:

Post a Comment