Thursday, July 30, 2015

Trigger-Happy


Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 9 of AFTERHOURS, the shit hits the fan when rogue cop Vin Vargas 'accidentally' shoots and kills gay Silverlake hipster drug dealer Mickey Mertz ...


INT. THE EXIT ROOM - EARLY MORNING
Danny picks up his drink. Takes a slug.

DANNY
It was a home invasion.
We ripped off a dirty cop
up in the hills.
Thought it’d be a cinch,
two against one,
but he was in bed with some slut,
and trigger-happy over there --

BANG.

Everyone JUMPS.
Turns and looks at --

MICKEY
Lying on the floor.
Half his face, gone.

DANNY
RACES over.

DANNY
What the FUCK, Vin?
What the fucking fuck did you DO?

Vin stands next to Mickey’s body
in his tighty-whiteys
holding his gun,
lower lip quivering.

VIN
He -- made fun of my underwear.

DANNY
I thought he was gonna cut your pants.

VINCE
Changed my mind.
Gay guy with scissors
anywhere near my crotch?
No fucking way, Jose.

AT THE BAR
Angel hugs Mia,
silently sobbing in his arms.

Casey joins them behind the bar.
Easy looks at Sky.

EASY
(whispers)
We gotta do something.

SKY
(whispers)
You gotta plan?

EASY
I’m thinking, I’m thinking --

NEXT TO MICKEY’S BODY
Danny berates Vin.

DANNY
You fucking idiot.
We were all getting along
and you had to fucking RUIN it.
Now they’re afraid of us.
Now they think they’re gonna die.

VIN
Well, aren’t they?

DANNY
(low)
No. We want them to TRUST us.
This will go ALOT
easier if they cooperate.
Now we have to watch them
in case they try and pull something.

VIN
I don’t see what the big deal is.
Dead fag. So what?

DANNY
That man was a HUMAN BEING, Vin.
And if you weren’t so homophobic,
he’d still be alive --
and your leg would be taken care of.

VIN
So I’ll splash some booze on it
and tie a tourniquet around it.

DANNY
Suit yourself.
But first get him the fuck out of here
before they freak out any more.

VIN
Alright, alright.

He grabs Mickey’s body by the ankles
and drags him out of the room.

All eyes follow him.
Danny walks back to the bar.

Sticks his gun in his his waistband.
Takes a seat.

DANNY
I’m really sorry.
My associate has an itchy trigger finger.
I promise I’ll keep him under control.

Danny grabs the bottle.
Pours himself another drink.

Takes a big gulp.
Vin comes back in.

VIN
I put him in the VIP room.
(off everyone’s silence)
It was an accident, okay?

EASY
You shot him because he was gay.

VIN
No I didn’t.

EASY
Yes you did.
I heard you call him a ‘faggot.’

SKY
Yeah, I did too.

CASEY
I like to fuck girls.
You gonna shoot me, too?

Danny shoots her a look.

VIN
What the fuck IS this?
(to Danny)
You gonna let them talk to me that way?

DANNY
Well, if the shoe fits.

VIN
What the fuck is THAT supposed to mean?

DANNY
You just fucking shot someone
because they’re gay
right in front of their eyes.
I think they’ve got the right
to give you shit about it.

VIN
Wait a minute.
Whose side are you ON?
It was an accident, okay?
The gun just went off.

EASY
Was it because he was
a little bit effeminate?
What if he was macho like me?

VIN
What?

EASY
If you found out I was gay,
would you shoot me?

VIN
You’re not GAY.
You’re a pro baseball player.

EASY
That’s true.
And I’m married.
(smiles)
But I also like to suck cock.

DANNY
Check out Easy Washington
coming out of the closet.
Now that took guts.

VIN
Bullshit.
He’s just fucking with me.

EASY
I’d prove it, but you’re not my type.
Don’t go for the greasy Italian thing.
Hate the taste of pepperoni.
(laughs)
Better check the oil.
Looks like you might be a little low.

VIN
HEY.

Vin CHARGES him.
Easy PUNCHES him in the head, THWUMP.
Vin HITS the floor.

Danny WHIPS out his gun.
Aims it at Easy.

DANNY
Thanks.
I’ve been dying to do that all night --

No comments:

Post a Comment