Friday, July 24, 2015

Star Struck


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 5 of AFTERHOURS, killer on the run Danny Peel holds the group of celebrities in the club hostage at gun point ... but then buys them a round of drinks and chats them up.


INT. AFTER HOURS CLUB - NIGHT
Vin goes to the duffle, zips it open.
Grabs a banded wad of cash.
TOSSES it to Danny.

DANNY
Which one of you is the bartender?

MIA
I am.

DANNY
(SLAPS it down on the bar)
What’s the most expensive scotch you got?

MIA
M-Mcallan’s.

DANNY
I wanna buy a round for the house.

Mia goes behind the bar
to get a bottle and some glasses.

DANNY
(to Sky)
Hey. You’re that movie star.
You’re in all those independent films.

SKY
Guilty as charged.
(weak smile)
With the occasional studio tentpole.

DANNY
Hey. Gotta pay the bills, right?
(nods)
I used to wannabe an actor,
but I really like eating.
(looks around)
Whoah, Nelly. This is celeb-city.
(to Easy)
Easy Washington. My man.
really sorry to hear about your injury.

EASY
Not as much as I was.

Mia gives Danny his glass. He takes a sip.

DANNY
Holy shit is that smooth.
(eyes Bettie)
And what do have we here? Bettie Black.
Big fan. Lost my virginity to your first album.

BETTIE
Really?

DANNY
Nah. Just fuckin’ with you.
I’m more of a classic rock kinda guy.
(sings)
Takin’ care of business --
(sips, looks at Casey)
And who is this lovely creature?

Danny and Casey lock eyes. She blushes.

CASEY
Nobody.
(beat)
I’m a writer.

BETTIE
Shut up.
(to Danny)
She won the Oscar, hello?

DANNY
Oh, yeah.
The media gave you shit
about your tattoos.

CASEY
My agent wanted me to wear
a long-sleeved dress,
but I said ‘fuck that.’

DANNY
Rebel outlaw girl.

Danny drains his glass.
to Mia for another.

DANNY
You gotta first aid kit in this joint?

ANGEL
In the back office.

DANNY
Is there a back entrance?

ANGEL
No.

DANNY
The only way out is the way we came in?

ANGEL
Yeah.

DANNY
Isn’t that against the fire code?

ANGEL
Owner’s tight with the city.

DANNY
You the bouncer?

ANGEL
Yeah.

DANNY
(to Vin)
Vin, go with him to the office
and get the first aid kit
and scope out the rest of the crib.

VIN
(drains his glass)
You got it.

He gets up. Nods at Angel.
They head off toward the back.

Danny sips his drink. Looks at Mickey.

DANNY
What’s your story?

MICKEY
I’m a dealer.

DANNY
Check it out.
Not afraid to admit it.
I like that.

MICKEY
Thanks.

DANNY
What do you deal?

MICKEY
You name it.
Weed, X, coke, shrooms, pills --

DANNY
Maybe I’ll hit you up later.
(off his look)
Don’t worry, I’ll pay for it.
I may be a fugitive from the law,
but I don’t steal from other criminals
unless they fuck with me.

MICKEY
That’s -- great.

DANNY
Are you a top or a bottom?

MICKEY
Excuse me?

DANNY
You heard me. Do you pitch or catch?

MICKEY
I’m -- versatile.

DANNY
I’ll keep that under advisement.

MICKEY
Okay --

DANNY
Relax. Just fucking with you.
(looks around)
C’mon, everybody.
Stop looking like the dog just died.
Let’s PARTY.
(to Mia)
Barkeep. Another round for my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment