Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Where The Streets Have No Game


Hey there, crime kids. Happy 48. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 48 of FILLMORE, Slim gets out of prison after earning bonus points for being the warden's driver, but it soon looks like he's back to his old ways on the street. Or is he?


EXT. TEXARKANA STREET - DAY
A small town known mostly for the prison.
We see Main Street, a grocery store, post office,
various shops, restaurants and bars.

The warden’s Cadillac Humpback is parked
at the curb in front of a clothing store.

A POLICE CAR pulls up behind.
A COP (30’s) gets out.
Walks over to Slim’s window.

CURIOUS COP
Can I see your driver’s license?
(off his nod)
What are you doing here?

SLIM
(takes it out, hand it to him)
I’m the prison warden’s driver,
taking his wife and kids to run some errands.

The cop looks at the license.
Nods his head reluctantly.

INT. PRISON CORRIDOR - DAY
Slim walks down the corridor with another CON.

SLIM
I don’t care what you say, I’m still pimpin.’
I’m drivin’ a Cadillac with a white woman in it.

INT. HALF WAY HOUSE - SUPERVISOR’S OFFICE - DAY
The SUPERVISOR (50’s) a grizzled former con
sits behind his desk, chats with Slim,
seated in a chair in front of him.

SUPERVISOR
So how you doin,’ Slim? You adjusting okay?
You been out four months now.

SLIM
Got no complaints.
I like driving the recycling truck around Oakland.
Nobody in the back seat tellin’ me where to go.

EXT. CONVENIENCE STORE - DAY
A recycling garbage truck is parked in the lot.
Slim stands next to it chatting with a HOT CHICK (19).

She’s holding a wad of money.
Waving it around.
He SNATCHES it from her.

SLIM
GIMME that.
(counts it)
Twenty bucks? That all you GOT?

HOT CHICK
I told you. There no JOHNS round here.

Just then, a POLICE CRUISER passes them, going real slow.
The COP behind the wheel eyes them, but keeps going.

SLIM
I’m tired of your BULLSHIT.
I heard you been tellin’ everyone,
including the police that you’re my girl.
I don’t need that shit.
Get the FUCK outta my face a
nd don’t come near me again, you HEAR me?

He STOMPS off. Gets in the truck.
Hot Chick stares, open-mouthed as he drives off.

INT. PENNY’S COFFEE SHOP - NIGHT
Slim’s hanging out with a bunch
of his old friends, all players.

They’re drinking coffee,
smoking and bullshitting.

SLICK SILKY
They put drugs in the APPLESAUCE?
Damn. That’s some fucked-up shit.
(smiles)
Gotta try that one sometime --

SLIM
Yeah, they got a company called Unicorp
inside that only government officials can buy into.
We was building furniture and shit
they sell to major companies.

GOLDIE (40’s) a good-looking guy
with a big nose laughs.

GOLDIE
Fuck that shit.
I wanna hear more about the warden’s wife.
You get a chance to hit that?

GANGSTER BROWN
Weren’t you listening, Goldie?
The kids were always with her --

SLIM
Yeah, right.
Like I was gonna fuck the warden’s WIFE. Shit.
I don’t hit FAT pussy.
(beat)
Gotta hit the head.

He gets up. Starts walking
the back of the restaurant. VERONICA (20’s),
a gorgeous white woman walks up to him.
Smiles. Hands him a wad of money.

VERONICA
Hi.

SLIM
What’s that for?

VERONICA
What do you think?

SLIM
(gives it back to her)
Sorry. You got the wrong man.

He turns on his heel and walks into the men’s room.
Veronica starts to walk out of the place.

As she heads for the door,
Slim’s friends call out,
try and hit on her.

SLICK SILKY
Hey, momma. Nice legs.
When do they open?

GOLDIE
Yo, baby. Is your name summer?
Cause you’re HOT.

VERONICA
Sorry, boys. Slim’s my man.

And she leaves.

EXT. FILLMORE STREET - DAY
The same pimps, plus a few more
are hanging out in front of a barber shop.
Veronica walks by.

SLICK SILKY
Shit. There she is again.
(calls out)
Hey, baby -- here I am.
What were your two other wishes?

She turns her head. Disgusted. Keeps walking.

CHOCOLATE Z
Momma -- What’s a nice girl like you
doing in a dirty mind like mine?

Slim walks around the corner. Sees her.
Turns his head. Tries to ignore her.
She goes up to him.

VERONICA
Hey, there.

SLIM
How many times I got to TELL you.
I’m not in The Game no more.
I’m a MUSICIAN -

No comments:

Post a Comment