Friday, February 27, 2015

Burn Down The Mission


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In the final chapter of FILLMORE, Slim gets a second chance to revitalize his music career, then after playing a gig at a dive blues club, he runs into a homeless woman with a sick baby in the rain, and finds out she's the granddaughter of one of 'his girls' ...


EXT. DIVE BAR - STREET - NIGHT
Greg is about to hail a cab.
Slim rushes up to him.

SLIM
Greg, Greg.
Can I talk to you a sec?

GREG
Sorry, my cab is here.
I’m in a rush.

SLIM
Just one sec.
Look, it’s been kinda rough
for me these last couple years --
but I wanna get back to my music.
If you could help in any way,
I’d really appreciate it.

GREG
Let me think about it.
(hands him his card)
Call me Monday.

He jumps in the cab.
It drives away.
Slim stares at the card.

EXT. CITY STREET - BLUES CLUB - NIGHT - PRESENT DAY
Very cold. Drizzling.
A fairly nice blues club
in a decent part of town.

We hear the faint strains
of MUSIC from within.

A LITTLE BOY (10) walks over
to the window. Looks in.

INT. BLUES CLUB - NIGHT
Small, dark, smoky and PACKED
with people watching FILLMORE SLIM (70’s) onstage,
ripping through BIG BRASS MONKEY
with his band, looking smooth
in a sharp suit and matching hat.

SLIM
(sings)
All you want to do
is ball and play --
You’ve got the balls
of a big brass monkey --

OUTSIDE
Little Boy smiles.
Digging the music. Slim.
His guitar playing.

His MOTHER (40’s) appears.
Takes him by the hand --

MOTHER
C’mon, now.
We gotta go.

Reveal she’s pushing a STROLLER
with the other hand.

The carriage top is ripped
and is covered with a trash bag.
We realize they’re homeless.

The baby SNEEZES as Mother
pushes the stroller
into the wet night,
holding her son’s hand.

EXT. BLUES CLUB - NIGHT
Closing time. Slim comes outside
holding his coat and guitar.

He leans the guitar against the wall.
Digs out a smoke. Lights up.

Homeless Mother comes
back down the street.

She sees Slim. Stops.
Looks at him.
A faint smile. Comes over.

MOTHER
I know who you are.
You’re Fillmore Slim.

SLIM
Do I know you?

MOTHER
My grandmother was
one of your girls.
You remember Cricket?
You raised my mother.

SLIM
How they doin?’

MOTHER
Wish I knew.

Pause.
LITTLE BOY
Hey, mister.
I wanna play the guitar
and sing like you when you grow up.

SLIM
It’s all about the
choices you make in life --

MOTHER
I hate to ask --
but I’m trying to find
a place to stay tonight --
my baby’s sick.
(voice cracking)
Could you help me out?

Slim nods. Digs into his pocket.
Pulls out a crumpled wad of cash.

Hands it to her.
She takes it. Nods.

MOTHER
Thank you.

They start walking down the sidewalk.
Slim watches them.

SLIM
Hey.

She turns around.

SLIM
I gotta friend down at The Mission.
He might be able to help you
find a place to stay.
Ask for Bishop John.
But tonight, use that money
to get those babies
out of this cold.

MOTHER
God bless you.

SLIM
Hey, little man.
I’ll be around to teach you
to play this here guitar.

The little boy smiles.
Nods his head.

And they start walking away --
as we hear the boy start
singing BIG BRASS MONKEY.

Slim watches them disappear
into the night. Thinking.

He shrugs into his coat.
Grabs his guitar.
Straps it around his back.
Starts walking.

FADE TO BLACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment