Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Blonde Leading The Blonde


Happy Saturday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 10 of LITTLE GIRL BLUE, private eye Carrie Love's mother Margo and stepmother Eva face off in a battle of snits in Margo's Beverly Hills mansion. Meanwhile, strip club owner/white slave trafficker Tolly Chill and his goons arrive in town ... in the middle of a freak snow storm.


INT. MARGO’S MANSION - LIVING ROOM - NIGHT
A hospital bed has been
set up in a corner of the room.

Margo lies on it
with an IV tube in her arm.

The private nurse, LAYLA (25),
a lovely HISPANIC GIRL,
adjusts the dosage.

MARGO
Do I really have to wear
this fucking thing in my arm?

LAYLA
It’s a sedative.
It’ll calm you down.
Most people like it.

MARGO
What about food?
Nutrients?

LAYLA
You’re not a vegetable.
You can still eat.

MARGO
Seth, could you go
make me a sandwich?

SETH
Leans against the fireplace.
Wearily looks at his mother.

SETH
When I had dinner an hour ago
you said you weren’t hungry.

MARGO
You know I hate pizza.
I’d like turkey
on wheat with mustard.
And bring me a fresh cocktail.

LAYLA
I’m sorry -- no alcohol.

MARGO
Not even a beer?

LAYLA
NO ALCOHOL.
(adjusts the drip)
How about this?

Margo’s eyes glaze over.

MARGO
Oooh. That’s -- nice.

Seth rolls his eyes.
Starts off for the kitchen.
The doorbell RINGS.

MARGO
Shit. It’s Lady Macbeth.
Somebody go get my rifle.

The doorbell RINGS again.

LAYLA
I’ll get it.

MARGO
No. Don’t let her in.

LAYLA
But that’s rude.

MARGO
Now you’re catching on.

Seth comes back in
from the kitchen.

Hands Margo a sandwich
on a plate and a glass of milk.

SETH
I’ll get it.
Chew slowly, Mom.
(under his breath)
Wouldn’t want you to choke.

MARGO
(to Layla)
I assume MILK is okay?

Seth goes to the door.
Opens it.

In walks EVA LOVE (40),
Carrie’s father’s second wife.

Blonde. Blue-eyed. Aryan.
Curvy. No-nonsense.

A bit formal in a designer suit.
With a clipped German accent
to match.

She rolls in her suitcase.
Rushes to Margo’s bed.

EVA
Margo, how are you feeling?
Are you alright?
Seth called me at the airport.
My heavens, all this
tragedy in one family.
Poor Tad.
He was such a bright young man.
And on the holidays.
Tsk-tsk.

MARGO
Get the fuck out of my face,
you witch.
(looks at the bag)
Back from another trip, I see.
Must be nice to travel so much.

EVA
I was closing up my apartment
in Berlin.

MARGO
Oh dear, then I guess you
had to let the stormtroopers go.

Pause.

EVA
Seth.
It’s so good to see you again.
My, you’re looking more and more
like your father every day.

SETH
Hi, Eva.
Thanks for coming.
We’re so glad you could make it.

MARGO
(to Layla)
Everyone says he looks more like me.

An uncomfortable silence.

SETH
So, uh -- Carrie
should be here any minute.

EVA
Splendid.
It will be nice to see her, too.

MARGO
You talked to CARRIE?
She didn’t return MY call.

SETH
She’s working on a case, Mom.
You can’t exactly check your messages
when you’re rescuing someone
from the bad guys.

LAYLA
Is she -- a cop?

SETH
She used to be.
Now she’s a private detective.

MARGO
After she was kicked off the force.

Pause.

EVA
Perhaps I should make some coffee.
How about it?
Maybe with some brandy in it?

SETH
Sure. Great.

LAYLA
I’ll come help.

PUSH IN ON Margo.
She raises her arm
with the IV drip.

MARGO
I’ll stick with what I’m having --

EXT. BEVERLY HILLS - SUNSET BOULEVARD - AT THAT MOMENT
Big, heavy snowflakes start falling.
Making a real mess.

A black SUV travels down
the thoroughfare in heavy traffic.

INT. SUV - CONTINUOUS
Tolly drives, while Porkpie
watches the hand-held GPS device
in the passenger seat.

In the back sit Aldo and Mick.

PORKPIE
I can’t believe it’s fucking SNOWING.
Weather report said nothing about no SNOW.

TOLLY
Look at these idiots.
No one can drive in this shit.
(beat)
So what’s it say?

PORKPIE
They’re still moving.
Going west on --
(squints)
Looks like -- they’re further east on Sunset.

TOLLY
Whaddaya mean looks like?

PORKPIE
Fuckin’ screen is so small.
It’s hard to tell.

TOLLY
(GRABS it)
Gimmee that fuckin’ thing.

He tries to read it as he’s driving.
Doesn’t see --

UP AHEAD
A car SCREECHES to a halt.

THE SUV
CRASHES into it. BANG.

TOLLY
Shit.

PORKPIE
Nice one.

TOLLY
Shut the fuck up.

MICK
This car legal?

TOLLY
Hell, yeah.

ALDO
They gonna find anything
when they run your license?

TOLLY
What the fuck do YOU think?

OUTSIDE THE SUV
A grim-looking SUIT
appears in Tolly’s window.

Knocks on it.
Tolly rolls it down.

GRIM-LOOKING SUIT
You hit my car.

TOLLY
What are you gonna do about it?

GRIM-LOOKING SUIT
(holds up his cell phone)
I’ve called the police.
Now we need to exchange
insurance information.

TOLLY
How ‘bout we exchange THIS?

He PUNCHES Grim-Looking in the face.
BANG, he goes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment