Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Fast, Cheap & Out of Control


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Hump Day. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 3 of LITTLE GIRL BLUE, college coed Blue Wonder hires private eye Carrie Love to find out what happened to her dead sister who was working as a stripper, but things then get tricky when strip club owner Tolly Chill invites Blue to a 'special party' in the Hollywood Hills ...


INT. FANTASY ISLAND STRIP CLUB - NIGHT
Blue sits at far end of the bar with Carrie.
She’s now wearing jeans and a belly shirt.
They sip bottles of beer.

BLUE
I’m so embarrassed.

CARRIE
Don’t be.
You were great.
(beat)
Minor detail.

BLUE
But I fucking FELL.

CARRIE
Adds to your charm.
They’re gonna offer you a job.
Just you wait.

Pause.

BLUE
So -- you’re a private detective.

CARRIE
I am.
But keep it under your hat.
I come here to do a Garbo.
(pulls out her card)
Here.
Just in case --

BLUE
(takes it, reads)
'Fast, Cheap & Out of Control?'

CARRIE
Marketing gimmick.
(takes a swig)
And it gives Joe Average a hard-on.

BLUE
How much do you charge?

CARRIE
Too much.
(beat)
Are you in some kind of trouble?

BLUE
It’s -- about my sister.

CARRIE
Is she in trouble?

Pause.

BLUE
She -- died.

CARRIE
I’m sorry.
What happened?

Blue looks around.
Makes sure no one is listening.

BLUE
They said she committed suicide.
But that’s not true.
She’d never do that. Never.
Jonna would NEVER do that. No way.
(looks again)
She was a dancer here.
Jonna was trying to
make it as an actress,
said this was just temporary,
that the money was great,
the people were nice,
and that she was
making some great contacts.
(sips her beer)
She wrote me once a week.
Then the letters stopped.
My parents were contacted by the police,
they said she’d killed herself.
(angry)
But she DIDN’T.
I KNOW she didn’t.
(hisses)
Someone KILLED her.

CARRIE
I’m -- sorry.
(beat)
I was wondering what a
nice girl like you
was doing here on Christmas Eve.

BLUE
I’m on break from college.
My parents think
I’m on campus studying.
They’re really upset with me.
(eyes tearing up)
I’m gonna find out
who KILLED her.

Carrie stares at her.

CARRIE
I’ll do it.

BLUE
But you said you were too expense --

CARRIE
I am.
But I made a bundle on my last case.
Time for me to pay it forward.
You know, karma.
(smiles)
Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap.
(beat)
Ho, ho, ho.

MALE VOICE (O.C.)
There she is.
The lovely Miss Blue.

TOLLY CHILL
Appears before them. Suave.
Eyes crinkled with satisfaction.

BLUE
Oh, hi.

TOLLY
I’m Tolly.
I run this joint.

BLUE
OH. Nice to meet you.
(beat)
I’m so embarrassed --

He raises her hand to his lips.
Kisses it. Smiles.

TOLLY
Nonsense.
You were wonderful.
In fact, I’d like to offer you a job.
Dancing.

CARRIE
See?
What did I tell you?

TOLLY
(ignores Carrie, to Blue)
I’m going to a little holiday soirĂ©e
in the Hollywood Hills tonight --
and I’d love for you to accompany me.

BLUE
A party?
In the Hollywood Hills?

TOLLY
Should be fun.
Nice mix of people.
Movie stars, pro athletes,
rock stars, politicians.
(smiles)
I’d be honored.

BLUE
Sure.
I’d be honored.

TOLLY
Terrific.
I have to go take care of some
business in the back office.
Stay here, have a drink on me,
and I’ll be back in a few minutes.

BLUE
Okay --

He bows.
Turns, walks away.
Carrie watches him.

BLUE
Holy SHIT.
A party in the Hollywood Hills.

CARRIE
There’s something -- off about him.

BLUE
Don’t be silly.
He’s cute.

CARRIE
Just be careful.

BLUE
He seems like a complete gentlemen.

CARRIE
Sure.
All guys who run strip clubs
are 'complete gentlemen.'

BLUE
If I didn’t know better,
I’d say you’re jealous.

Pause.

CARRIE
If you’re going to
hire my services,
you’re going to have to
trust my judgment.
(off her stare)
Look.
I’ve been around the block.
There’s a lot of sharks in this town
that can make a meal
out of a gal like you.
Just be careful, okay?
Keep your eyes open.

BLUE
Okay.

CARRIE
Okay.
And don’t be afraid to call me
if anything gets -- weird.
Any time of the day or night.
Think of me like a big sister.

BLUE
I like that --

TOLLY
Appears.

All smiles.
Eyes flashing.

TOLLY
Are you ready to go?

BLUE
I need to go to the ladies room.
Be back in a sec.

She slides off her stool.
Grabs her purse.
Heads for the loo.

Tolly and Carrie appraise each other.

TOLLY
(watches her)
Gorgeous girl.
(turns, looks at Carrie)
So what’s your story?

CARRIE
(hands him her card)
Carrie Love, PI.
A friend.

TOLLY
(reads the card)
It’s nice to see the young lady has --
people watching out for her.
(weird smile)
Can’t be too careful these days.

PUSH IN Carrie.
Finishing her drink.

CARRIE
Gotta watch out for those sharks.
(sips her beer)
Especially when you’re
living in a fishbowl --

No comments:

Post a Comment