Friday, December 13, 2013

A Simple Plan


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 35 of THE HEISTERS, we reach the exciting conclusion of our story, in which Kelsey rides off into the sunset with a cool half-million in cash ... and a surprise twist ending that'll blow your mind.


EXT. VENICE BEACH PARKING LOT - NIGHT
A patrol car sits idling at the very north end
of the lot near the entrance.

Kelsey trots over to it, limping a bit.
She gets in. SLAMS the door.

INT. PATROL CAR - NIGHT
Elwin sits behind the wheel.
Smiles at Kelsey.

ELWIN
Ding, dong, the bitch is dead?

KELSEY
Follow the yellow brick smashed on her head.
(beat)
You got the dough?

ELWIN
Does a bear defecate in the great outdoors?

KELSEY
Solid.
Where to, the airport?

ELWIN
Charter flight to Mexico awaits --

He puts the car into gear.
Starts driving.

ELWIN
You never told me.
What are you gonna do
with your half-mil?
Retire?

KELSEY
Thought I’d go cruise around Europe
for a year or so.
Never been.
(beat)
But I’ll be back.
A half-million isn’t going to last forever.
(beat)
And besides, I’m a heister.
It’s in my blood.

Elwin nods.
Turns east on Navy Street.

EXT. CONSTRUCTION SITE - NIGHT
Mart, Nunn and Isaacs find Ronan’s body.
Ren and Meg examine Doll’s corpse.

They call it in.
Start combing the area for evidence.

A trio of SQUAD CARS pull up,
lights FLASHING.

KELSEY (V.O.)
The plan was simple.
I knew every detail
about the heist because I planned it --
and where the money would end up afterward.

INT. PATROL CAR - MOVING - NIGHT
Elwin drives. Kelsey looks out the window.
Thinking.

KELSEY (V.O.)
We knew there was going to be a double-cross,
so all Elwin had to do was tail Ronan
and see what he was up to --
and then between the two of us
working both sides of the law,
we could connect the dots.
It got a little hairy there for awhile,
but we pulled it off.

EXT. SIDEWALK CAFE - DAY - FLASHBACK
Kelsey and Elwin sit at a table outside.

It’s deserted. Late.
No one else around.

ELWIN
Give me one reason
I don’t take you in right now.

KELSEY
How about a half-a-million reasons.

Elwin sips his coffee.
Narrows his eyes.

ELWIN
How I do I know I can trust you?

KELSEY
I’ve never been caught.
And I’ve got a score to settle.
With you on my team, it’s a slam-dunk.
(beat)
Word on the street is you’re
into Jimmy Two-Fingers for
fifty-K betting on the ponies,
and I had funny feeling offering you
a half-million tax free
would be a home run.

He stares at her a long beat.
Then breaks into a big smile.

ELWIN
Let’s play ball.

INT. BAR - NIGHT - FLASHBACK
Kelsey sits at a booth,
Ronan across from her.
Talking earnestly.

Kelsey smokes.
Watching him, stone-faced.

KELSEY (V.O.)
I knew something was up when
Ronan first approached me about the job.
A little over a year ago
we’d had what I thought was a
minor fling after a big heist.
It was New Year’s Eve,
I had too much to drink,
and got careless.
The first rule of Heist Club
is don’t get involved.
(beat)
But the kicker was,
he’d fallen in love with me.
And after I ended it,
he mooned around like a teenage kid.
They only way I could make a
clean break was to leave town --
so when he contacted me
through my go-between about a new job,
red flags started flapping in the breeze.

INT. PATROL CAR - MOVING - NIGHT
Kelsey lights a cigarette.
Rolls down the window.

Feels the warm night air
blow on her face.

KELSEY (V.O.)
I learned a valuable lesson.
NEVER fuck a heister.
(beat)
Because if you don’t watch out,
they’ll fuck you right back.

Kelsey says something to Elwin.
He pulls the car over
to the side of the road.

She smiles.
Opens the car door --

WHIPS OUT her pistol.
SHOOTS him in the chest.

BANG. BANG. BANG.
Elwin slumps over. Dead.

KELSEY (V.O.)
Oh, yeah. One last thing.
(beat)
Never trust a heister.
(beat)
It could get you killed --

FADE TO BLACK

OVER CLOSING TITLES:

EXT. PINECREST ASSISTED CARE FACILITY - DAY
A bright, sunny day.
Lush, dense foliage.

Beautifully manicured lawn and gardens.
Looks like a college campus.

PATIENTS and NURSES dot the grounds.
It’s bucolic. Paradise.

INT. PINECREST ASSISTED CARE FACILITY - FRONT DESK - DAY
Kelsey stands at the counter
talking with an OFFICIOUS CLERK (40’s).

A squat, frog-like woman wearing glasses.
She hands Kelsey a sheaf of papers.
Kelsey studies it. Nods.

Reaches into her bag.
Pulls out a thick envelope.

Hands it to Officious.
She peers in.

Raise her eyebrows.
Kelsey smiles.

KELSEY
Thanks for taking such
good care of my son --
(low)
There’s a little extra in there for you.

EXT. PINECREST ASSISTED CARE FACILITY - CONTINUOUS
Kelsey walks up to BURKE (20),
who sits on a park bench
watching a butterfly.

Now older.
Doesn’t look so agitated.

Sits down next to him.
His face lights up.

BURKE
Mom.

KELSEY
Hi.

BURKE
(points)
Butterfly.

She takes his hand in hers.
Rubs it. Smiles.

KELSEY
Yeah.
(beat)
Pretty, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment