Monday, August 5, 2013

Oedipus Wrecks


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Monday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 11 of LEGS, private eye Carrie Love meets her ex, homicide detective Bernie Keko at the scene of her client's murder ...


EXT. DICK’S MANSION - FRONT PORCH - NIGHT
Carrie and Bernie stand near the front door
watching the parade of COPS and
CRIME SCENE TECHS going in and out.

BERNIE
You can go in
after they’re done, Legs. Okay?
I shouldn’t even let you do THAT,
but he WAS your client.

Dick’s body is wheeled out on a gurney,
zipped up in a bag.

CARRIE
(watches it go by)
He gave me a retainer.
Is it ethical to cash the check?

BERNIE
Why not?
He’s not gonna say anything --
(nods at her car)
Isn’t this a strange place
to bring a date?

CARRIE
She’s a LEAD, Bernie.
Dina’s roommate.
I was at the strip club interviewing her
when I got a voicemail message from Daerr,
said it was something urgent.
Then I got YOU on the line --

BERNIE
Right, right.

CARRIE
So tell me about the body --

BERNIE
His throat was cut.
No sign of forced entry,
looks like he knew the perp.
Killer’s left-handed.
Short, about five-two, five-three.
That’s all we’ll know until
forensics gets back to us.

Jonna appears on the porch.
miles weakly.

JONNA
I’m sorry to interrupt,
but is it okay if I use
the little girl’s room?
I gotta go.

BERNIE
Yeah, sure.
Bathroom’s on the left.
Just don’t touch anything.

CARRIE
(to Jonna)
Hey.
Is Dina left-handed?

JONNA
Yeah. Why?

CARRIE
How tall is she?

JONNA
About five-two.
What’s this about?

CARRIE
You know the story of Oedipus?

JONNA
No. Who’s that?

BERNIE
(to Carrie)
I’ll follow you guys in my car.

JONNA
What’s going on?

CARRIE
Hurry up and go pee.
I’ll fill you in on the way.

She nods. Races inside.
Bernie gives Carrie the fish-eye.

BERNIE
Hey.
Are you okay?
You look like someone died.
(beat)
I mean -- a good guy.

CARRIE
My father, Bernie -- he --

BERNIE
Your FATHER DIED?

She stares at him.
Haunted. Lost.

CARRIE
(softly)
Heart attack --

Bernie pulls a flask out of his pocket.
Hands it to her.

She takes it. Grateful.
Takes a long pull.
Wipes her mouth.

CARRIE
And here I am.

BERNIE
Once a cop,
always a cop, huh?

PUSH IN ON Carrie’s face.
Haunted. Numb.

CARRIE
Blessing and a curse, Bernie.
(beat)
Blessing and a curse --

No comments:

Post a Comment