Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Fugitive Kind

Sunday. A day of rest. Kinda fucked up day for me. Second week anniversary of Tina the Wonder Dog's passing away. Damn, I loved that mutt. Alway there for me. Never flaked. A writer friend sent me a note today. Said it's my humanity that shows in my work.

I guess so.

Another friend wrote to tell me how rare it is for someone -- person or animal -- to pass away in their sleep. Said it meant they had a great life. And yes she did. Luckiest fucking dog on the planet.
Cause she had me.

Norman Mailer said 'A great writer gets the writing done, even when things are tough.' Words to live by. So, here I sit, plugging away ..

On a lighter note, I screened GONE IN 60 SECONDS last night. Now, before you start giving me shit about my taste in movies, please know that I've been watching alot of escapist crap the last couple of weeks because I've been in grief. And guess what? I like it. I still like Hitchcock and the Coen brothers and Jean-Pierre Melville, but sometimes a gal just needs to unplug and chill with stupid popcorn fluff. (And besides, it's never a bad thing to check out what the masses like.) 60 SECONDS was ridiculous, and a blast. Nic Cage with orange hair? A baby Giovanni Ribisi -- and, holy SHIT, a very young, surly-sexy Angelina Jolie, all dreadlocks, lips and power-tools. Yikes.

Onto today's sequence from GUN-WILD. Heisters Rod and Cam have escaped the fuzz, and are now looking for new wheels. Robbery/Homicide officers Bobby Teen and Taya Ralls are searching the Winnebago ... and find a bloody surprise.

***

EXT. STREET CORNER - AT THAT MOMENT
Bobby and Taya RUN down the alley off the boardwalk.
Reach the corner. Stop. Look around.

BOBBY
Shit.

TAYA
Fuck.

BOBBY
Where did they go?

Another POLICE CRUISER roars up the corner.
BRAKES with a SCREECH of rubber.
They dash over to it.

BEEFY HISPANIC COP
Are you Robbery/Homicide?

BOBBY
(nods)
Detective Teen, this is detective Ralls.

HISPANIC COP
(eyes her)
Hi, there.
(nods at the car)
Jump in. They’re around her somewhere.
Could use the extra eyes.

They get in.
The cruisers ROARS off down Speedway.

INT. WINNEBAGO - AT THAT MOMENT
Cam’s got the gym bag, filled with wet money.
Water drips onto the floor.
Rod finishes tying up Asian Art Vendor with rope.
SLAPS duct tape over her mouth.
She stares balefully.

CAM
Chink’s got eyes like a puppy dog.

Rod grabs a towel. Ties it around her head.

ROD
There.

CAM
Maybe we should put her to sleep.

ROD
NO. We’re in enough trouble as it is.

CAM
I was JOKING.

ROD
You’re a goddamn laugh-riot.
Now let’s get the fuck out of here.

EXT. WINNEBAGO - CONTINUOUS
Rod and Cam walk down the alley.
Approach an old VW van.

ROD
Perfect.

He goes to the passenger door.
Jimmies it open. They pile in.

INT. VW VAN - CONTINUOUS
Cam shoots Rod a look.

CAM
What is it with you and old cars?

ROD
I told you, they’re easier to break into --
and there’s usually no alarm.
(looks in the rear view)
Shit, COPS. Duck down --

They crouch down in the seat.

IN THE ALLEY
The police cruiser pulls up alongside the Winnebago.
Bobby and Taya jump out. RACE over to door.
Pull out their guns.

IN THE VAN
Rod and Cam peer over the seat. Watching.

CAM
I say we drive outta here real slow.
Pretty soon this place is gonna be crawling with pigs.

ROD
(looks at her)
You watch a lot of old movies, don’t you?

She shoots him a look. Raises her gun.
Crooked smile.

CAM
(low)
You've got to ask yourself one question, punk.
(CLICKS the safety)
Do I feel lucky?

***

1 comment:

  1. See if you can find a chic holding a Walther PPKS. It's a sexy german made 380 commonly seen in the 007 movies....

    Oh...Of course it's the one I carried too!

    ReplyDelete