Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Where There's Smoke, There's Ire


Happy Tuesday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 17 of THE DISH, Jett and Rush go to a seedy Venice Beach pawnshop to buy a gun to kill Trimmer with. Then, a little while later, Haven confesses to Jett about her affair with Trimmer and how it ended ... and that she now wants to kill him, too ...


EXT. LUNA’S PAWN SHOP - DAY
A shitty cinder block bunker
with bars on the windows
on the wrong end of Lincoln Boulevard.
Se Hablo Espanole.

Jett and Rush stand at the door.
Press the intercom button.

BUZZZZZZZZZ. They go in.

INT. PAWN SHOP - AT THAT MOMENT
Jett and Rush squint in the darkness.

A HEAVYSET LATIN GUY sits behind the counter.
He puts a wad of cash in a strong box.
CLICKS it shut.

BEHIND THE COUNTER
we see he’s holding a 9MM automatic.

HEAVYSET LATIN GUY
Hola, amigo.
What can I do for you today?

RUSH
You Luna?

LUNA
I’m Luna.

RUSH
You sell -- guns?

LUNA
(smiles)
Who told you that?

RUSH
Uh, guy named Ramirez,
down in Long Beach.
Big guy, like you, rides
with the Los Muertos cycle club.
Customer of mine.

LUNA
What do you sell?

RUSH
(pulls out a vial)
Show me yours,
and I’ll show you mine.

Luna smiles broadly,
displaying rows of gold teeth.

LUNA
Ramirez, that fat fuck.
Why didn’t you say so?

INT. JETT’S CAR - MOMENTS LATER
Jett holds a 38 special
down low below the dashboard.

Stares at it, wide-eyed.

JETT
I like -- how it feels.

Rush points his SERVICE REVOLVER
out the window. Takes aim.

RUSH
Just like back home
shooting pigeons in the barn.
He squeezes the trigger. CLICK.

EXT. THE SAFE HAVEN - FORWARD DECK
Haven paces back and forth.
Talks on her cell phone.

HAVEN
Jett? Where are you? Pick up.
(listens)
Jett, pick up. C’mon --
(listens)
I need to see you.
We need to talk.
(beat)
I need -- your help.
(beat)
Tomorrow morning at 9,
at the Food Town.
I’ll be in the produce aisle.
for you.
(beat)
We need to talk. Okay?

BEEP.

She clicks the phone shut.
Lost in thought.

INT. FOOD TOWN - DAY
Rows of fresh fruit.
The joint’s all but deserted.

A SHOPPING CART appears.
It’s being pushed by Haven,
wearing huge sunglasses.

Another CART pulls up next to it,
pushed by Jett, also in shades,
and a baseball cap pulled down low.

HAVEN
Thanks for coming.

They start rolling the carts
down the aisle.

JETT
You wanted to talk. So talk.

HAVEN
I’ve missed you, Jett.
I’ve missed you so much.

JETT
You sure have a funny way of showing it.

HAVEN
What that’s supposed to mean?

Jett stops her cart.

JETT
(hisses)
Trimmer Waltz.
I saw you with him.
I know what’s going on.
What do you think I am,
a fucking patsy?
(to herself)
I don’t even know why I’m here.

HAVEN
Trimmer and I, we --
(beat)
It started off as innocent fun,
but it didn’t mean anything --
and then I lost interest,
and tried to call it off.

JETT
Yeah, right.

HAVEN
It’s true, listen to me.
He said if I stopped seeing him,
he was going to tell Dart about us.
(beat)
And then he came up with his -- plan.
And then I saw you on the beach
training people. I was drawn to you.
(beat)
But what I didn’t expect --
was to -- fall for you.
And by then, it was -- too late.
(beat)
I fucked it all up, Jett. I’m sorry.
(beat)
So sorry.

Pause.

JETT
You expect me to believe that bullshit?

HAVEN
It’s the truth, Jett. I --

Haven lowers her shades.
Eyes full of tears.

HAVEN
I need you, Jett.
I gotta hole in my heart
where you used to be.
If I can’t be with you,
I’d rather die.

JETT
But Trimmer, I saw you --

HAVEN
I told you, it’s OVER.
Trimmer’s an ASSHOLE.
He’s a PIG, he’s so full of himself --

JETT
And you just figured that out?

HAVEN
I’ve been dying without you, Jett.
I want things to be the way they were --
you and me against the world.
Forever and ever.
Willing to do whatever it takes.

Jett’s nose starts running.
She wipes it on the back of her sleeve.
Stares at Haven.

JETT
I don’t know, I --

Haven looks around anxiously.
She takes Jett’s hand.

Slowly guide it up her skirt.
Shivers.

HAVEN
(whispers)
See how wet you make me?

JETT
I, I --

HAVEN
(pulls her close)
Remember those three days
we had all to ourselves?
It was so good.
The happiest I’ve ever been.
Can’t you see I’m in love with you?
(beat)
Don’t you -- want me anymore?

JETT
(a whisper)
I, I do.
(embraces her)
Of course I do.

They hug for a long moment.

A FEMALE SHOPPER (50’s)
wheels her cart past them.
Stares disapprovingly.

Haven pulls away.

HAVEN
So you know what we have to do.

JETT
What?

HAVEN
We have to make him -- go away.

A strange smile flickers on Jett’s face.
She looks around.

Reaches in her jacket pocket.
Pulls out the REVOLVER.

JETT
You must be a mind-reader.

HAVEN
(sharp whisper)
Holy shit, put that away.

JETT
(pockets it)
So what’s the plan?

HAVEN
We need to act fast.
I’m going to the reading
of Dart’s will tomorrow,
and then I’m gonna take
all the money out of the bank.
So we gotta do it tonight.

JETT
Tonight?

HAVEN
Yeah. I’m meeting him
on the boat later for dinner.
You know, consoling the grieving widow.
I’ll call you after he gets there,
and then --

JETT
(points finger like a gun)
Hasta la vista, Deputy Waltz.

HAVEN
Yeah. And then we can be together.
We can go anywhere,
do anything -- together.

JETT
Do whatever it takes.

PUSH IN ON Haven.
Lowering her shades.
Eyes full of fire.

HAVEN
Straight down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment