Monday, June 23, 2014

Afternoon Delight


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Monday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 16 of THE DISH, Jett tells Rush about Haven's plan to frame her for the death of her husband with the help of sheriff's deputy Trimmer Waltz. Meanwhile, homicide detective Cal Seely questions Trimmer about the murder ...


INT. JETT’S APARTMENT - NIGHT
Jett STORMS into the room.
SLAMS the door.

Rush lolls on the couch
watching TV drinking a beer.

She walks over.
Sees the mirror
with the lines of speed
he’s been chopping up
on the coffee table.

JETT
Okay, here’s the deal.
If you want your cut,
you’re gonna have to
work for it.
(beat)
I need your help.

RUSH
Sure, sure.
What can I do?

Jett sits down next to him.
Looks at the drugs.

JETT
You know my -- friend?

RUSH
Haven?

JETT
Yeah. She’s --
(shudders)
She’s fucking the Sheriff’s deputy.
And they’re setting me up.

RUSH
Holy SHIT.

JETT
Mind if do one of those?

RUSH
Fuck, no.
Now we’re talking.
(hands her a straw)
Madam, your carriage awaits.

JETT
(takes it)
Giddyap.

She leans down.
SNORTS a line
in her left nostril.

Then another in her right.
She shakes her head. WHOOSH.

RUSH
You’re gonna be fucking flying,
after being clean so long.

JETT
(SNORTS another)
Goddamn right.

RUSH
So what’s the plan?
What can I help with?

JETT
I need you to help me --
get a gun.

Jett reaches over.
Wets a finger in
Rush's water glass.

Touches it to her nose.
SNORTS it.

RUSH
A gun?
What for?

JETT
I’m gonna kill
the motherfucker.

RUSH
But he’s a cop.

PUSH IN ON Jett.
Eyes blazing with
chemical fire.

JETT
Kinda like old times, huh?

EXT. MARINA - SHERIFF’S SUBSTATION - AT THAT MOMENT
An old, wooden shack
at the edge of the pier.

The Sheriff’s skiff
floats and bobs
in the water nearby.

INT. SHERIFF’S SUBSTATION - DAY
Trimmer sits at his desk.
Filling out a report.

Shitty 70’s ‘soft rock’
plays softly on a cheap boombox.
Afternoon Delight, indeed.

MALE VOICE (O.C.)
Anybody home?

TRIMMER
Entree, si vous plait.

Cal Seely ambles in.
Perspiring in his overcoat.

CAL
Deputy Waltz?

TRIMMER
You’re lookin’ at him.

CAL
(flashes badge)
Detective Sergeant Cal Seely,
Homicide.

TRIMMER
Please to meet you.
Pull up a log.

CAL
(pulls out a cigar)
I like to stand.
Mind if I smoke?

TRIMMER
I’m allergic.
Sorry.
(looks)
That’s quite a stogie.
Freud would have a
field day with THAT.

CAL
(not amused)
I’m investigating
the death of Dart Crayce.

TRIMMER
The film director,
the houseboat.
Yes. Tragic.
(shakes his head)
His poor wife.

CAL
Yes.
His poor, young wife --

TRIMMER
Oh. Now listen,
I’ve met her,
she’s a nice lady.
No way she could have --

CAL
It’s a good motive.
What was he -- 80 years old?

TRIMMER
85, I think.

CAL
And I’m sure he was
worth a lot of money.
All those classic,
old movies --

They look at each other.
Thinking.

TRIMMER
If you ask me,
I think you should check out
her personal trainer.
I’ve seen them working out --
and I sensed there was
more going on than just --
weight lifting, if
you know what I mean.

CAL
(pulls out notebook)
The trainer.
What’s his name?

TRIMMER
HER name.
Jett something.
Jett -- Targo, that’s it.
She’s a, you know --
(mimes flexing arm muscle)
Real strong.

CAL
Lesbo?
They having an affair?

TRIMMER
God, no.
It’s just that --
I’m out on my
boat every morning,
and I’d see them.
And, I dunno --
it’s a gut feeling.
You know --
(beat)
The way she’d
look at Mrs. Crayce.
All hungry-like.

CAL
(narrows his eyes)
A gut feeling.
(off his nod)
Hungry-like.

PUSH IN ON Trimmer.
A rude leer.

TRIMMER
Yeah, you know --
like an animal.
Hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment