Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Roulette Wheel Of Love



Hey there, crime kids. Happy Wednesday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In the final chapter of DAZED, BEAUTIFUL & BRUISED ... I'm not going to tell you what happens. You'll have to find out for yourself ...

INT. BARGAIN CLOWN MART - NIGHT

ANGLE ON --
Carrie’s gun at the camera.
Bernie’s pair on Sparkle.
Sparkle’s Uzis on Madrid and Bernie.

Sparkle FLIPS a gun
from Bernie to the CAMERAMAN.

SPARKLE
(to Carrie)
Squeeze play -- your choice, hon.
Billy Betacam, or baby Botox.

Pause.

CARRIE
(to the cameraman)
Shut off the camera.
It’ll make her stop.

CAMERAMAN
What? No way.

CARRIE
Shut off the camera,
it’ll make her stop.
She won’t shoot,
it’s gotta be on the air.

CAMERAMAN
No way. She’s got a
fuckin’ gun at my head.

SPARKLE
That’s right, detective --
I’ve got him in my hair-trigger.
And It’s gettin’ itchy.

CARRIE
(to the cameraman)
And I’ve got her number.
She won’t kill anyone else
unless it’s being broadcast --

BANG! BANG! BANG!

A surprised look on Madrid’s face.
Three red stains slowly expand
on her gauzy belly-top.

THE CAMERAMAN
turns to the wounded beauty,
focuses. Excited. Scared.

CARRIE
PUNCHES him. GRABS the camera.
Shuts it off.

INT. NEWSROOM - CONTINUOUS
The monitors go black.

BROCK
Goddammit.

LINA
Fuck me.

INT. BARGAIN CLOWN MART - CONTINUOUS
Sparkle stops. Looks. Confused.
Something shuts down.

SPARKLE
No, no. Turn it back on.
Turn it back on.
(very quiet)
Mommy, please --
let me do it again, please.
I’m sorry I dropped it.
I know I can do better.
(listens to something)
I don’t get another chance?

She gently places a gun at her throat.
The other at her temple.
Closes her eyes.

CARRIE (O.S.)
No! Don’t do it --

SPARKLE
(a whisper)
I’m sorry.
(beat)
I’ll take my ball
and phone home now.
(a whisper)
Bye, bye, Daddy.
Take care of Mommy --

SPARKLE
Squeezes the trigger.
RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT!
Her head EXPLODES in a SPRAY of RED MIST.

EXT. BARGAIN CLOWN MART - NIGHT
Emotionally spent, splattered,
Carrie makes her way through the crowd of
NEWS CREWS, COPS, GAWKING BYSTANDERS.

CARRIE (V.O.)
Another thing about Los Angeles --
this sprawling mass of self-satisfaction
is all about air time.
The ‘big story.’ Ratings.

She passes a REPORTER,
a blonde, grinning jock type.

CARRIE (V.O.)
Fucking vultures --

JOCK REPORTER
Yes! I believe that’s her!
(approaches Carrie)
Detective! Miss Love!
Roger Ditz, KTLA Evening News!
How do you feel?

Carrie PUSHES him away.
Keeps walking.

CARRIE
That’s on a 'need to know' basis, Roger.

Veronica approaches.

VERONICA
Don’t bother begging for my favors, Carrie.

CARRIE
We all use each other, babe.

Lipshitz appears.

LIPSHITZ
Carrie, let me give you a lift home.
You can file your report tomorrow.
You’ve been through --

CARRIE
I’ve been through a bloody blender, Lare.
Please, leave me alone -- no offense --
but I’ve got find someone.

LIPSHITZ
I’ll call you tomorrow morning.

CARRIE
I’ll call you. I’m sleeping in.

She reaches the gauntlet of GAWKING ONLOOKERS.
Pushing, wildly grinning, jockeying for position.

RABID ONLOOKER
Yo, that’s her!

CRAZED ONLOOKER
Carrie, baby! Legs!

Carrie ignores them,
pushes through the crowd.

CARRIE (V.O.)
It’s all about the glitz,
the glamour -- the box office.
Which explains the rage behind
the big, bright smiles.
Why someone jams on the horn
if you hesitate the
tiniest bit at a stoplight.
Why people will spend five bucks
for a coffee and a buck-fifty
for a cookie. A fuckin’ cookie.
(beat)
And which explains all the shitty movies
they keep cranking out.

LAURA
Stands at the corner. Holy shit.

CARRIE (V.O.)
Except this one, of course.

Carrie walks over to this
flaming creature in pink latex.

CARRIE (V.O.)
And there she was, a vision in rubber.
It was as if the heavens opened up
and delivered me evil.
Brought back to me the missing piece
I thought was gone forever.
The thing that made me whole.

Carrie says something to Laura.
Laura tenses. Looks like she’s going to bolt.

Carrie pulls out a pack of smokes.
Shakes out two.

Lights them.
Offers one to Laura --

She snatches it.
Takes a long, deep drag.
Blows smoke in Carrie’s face.

CARRIE (V.O.)
Cause when your self-esteem
is running on empty --
you need another warm body
to fill your tank.

Carrie begs, pleads.
Like her life depended on it.

But then, at this point --
maybe it does.

CARRIE (V.O.)
Nobody’s perfect.
I’m not -- and God knows,
neither was she.

Laura’s eyes burn into her. Considering.

Carrie gets down on one knee --
Giving Laura the view up her skirt.

CARRIE (V.O.)
But we had something most people never have.
Something they only dream about.
(beat)
And should probably stay the hell away from.

Laura pulls a leash out of her purse.
SNAPS it on Carrie’s leather choker.

CARRIE (V.O.)
Some people say such passion
is worth the price.
For me, it was a no-brainer.
(beat)
Call me Lassie.

Laura steps back.
Gives the chain a YANK.

Carrie stands. Goes to her.
And they kiss --

CARRIE (V.O.)
That’s it. Time for me
to ankle this joint.
And it’s about time for you
to get back to your happy little lives.
(beat)
Me? I’ll be right here,
playing craps with my heart --
and spinning the roulette wheel of love.

3 comments:

  1. Aha! I knew you wouldn't disappoint... I just knew there was going to be a head "exploding in a red mist"! :)

    What a tragedy... Sparkle. Maybe it's just me... I can't help but feel a little sorry for her, but...

    This is the way it had to end, isn't it? And, I guess she knew that the whole time.

    So, what know for Carrie... Veronica? No... she kind of burnt that bridge, it looks like... Oh wait...

    Laura... is that Laura! OMG!! YES!!

    "Cause when your self-esteem is running on empty -- you need another warm body to fill your tank." WOW!!

    I wish I had said something like that! Wow!

    You know, hun... I read this line... and I had one of those little moments I get reading Raymond Chandler... you know... something he says and you just go "wow!" and stop for a minute... then you have to go back and read it again.

    So... the two of them drive off into the sunset? Remember, Carrie... always bet black! :)

    I love the ending, hun... even if it did make me tear up a little bit... <3


    WOW!! AMAZING story, Carole! Wooooo!! Love it... love it... love it!!

    YES! That is a great idea... post the trilogy in order... I could go for that! :D

    Okay... got emails to answer and I want to get a few more pages in on my Femme Fatales story... did I tell you they extended the deadline.. oh, yeah, I did. that is good for me... haha!

    XOXOXOXO <3 <3 <3

    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, doll!

    Comparing me to Mr. Chandler? Wow.

    I'll take it. Thanks.

    So -- get read for part 2 of the trilogy: LEGS.

    Luv ya <3!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete