Friday, May 13, 2016

Petticoat Junction 2.0


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 10 of RIDGEWAY, Cate finally arrives in the mountains of Echo Springs, Arkansas after a very long drive, completely exhausted ... but happy to be in paradise ...


EXT. CATE’S CAR - MOVING - EARLY AFTERNOON
A two-lane highway lined
with fast food joints.

It’s a wonderful day
in the neighborhood. Not.

The power-punk of The Jam’s
THICK AS THIEVES snap, crackle
and POPS on the car stereo.

Cate drives, looks beyond exhausted.
Riding on fumes.

Bobby sticks his head
out the window, ears flapping, smiling.

The expanse of salt, sugar and fat ends,
and suddenly the road plunges
into gorgeous, green countryside.

A SIGN
Displays an arrow that twists
and turns like a Gordian knot.

Speed limit fifteen miles
per hour. Yikes.

IN THE CAR
The road takes a sharp right
down a steep hill.

Cate slows, turns
the wheel carefully.

AERIAL POV
The car goes up, down
and around the mountain --
followed by a line of cars
close behind it.

EXT. MOUNTAIN ROAD - DAY
Cate pulls into a rickety
gas station/general store.

An OLD MAN wearing overalls
sits on the porch in a
ratty old chair
fingering a smart phone.

Petticoat Junction 2.0.

The cars behind Cate
HONK as they drive by.
She gets out.

Takes Bobby onto a patch
of grass to pee.
Pulls out her cell.

CATE
Hey, it’s me.
I’m almost there.
(listens)
I’m at this old gas station.
Had to let Bobby out,
stretch my legs,
let all the cars
behind me pass.

INTERCUT WITH:

INT. KAYLA’S APARTMENT - KITCHEN - DAY
Kayla sits at the kitchen table
surrounded by all four cats
on the floor, counters, the table.
Lights a smoke. Excited.

KAYLA
You’re early.

CATE
I’m the early bird, baby.

KAYLA
And I’m your worm-hole.

CATE
I can’t wait to see you.

KAYLA
That makes five of us.

EXT. KAYLA’S HOUSE - DAY
Kayla stands in the tiny
front yard on her cell.

KAYLA
It’s an orange house with
yellow and red trim on the corner.
Can’t miss it.

Cate’s car comes down the street.
Parks in the drive.

Gets out with Bobby.
Kayla RUSHES over. They hug.

KAYLA
I can’t believe you’re here.

CATE
I can’t believe I made it.
(beat)
I can’t tell you how much
I need a shower --

No comments:

Post a Comment