Friday, October 16, 2015

Pulp Friction


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 30 of THE DISH, homicide detective Cal Seely starts closing in on Haven and Jett for the murder of Haven's husband Dart. Meanwhile, Jett and Rush prepare to kill sheriff's deputy Trimmer Waltz ...


INT. VENICE BOARDWALK - SMALL WORLD BOOKS - DAY
A bookworm’s delight.
A cozy, cluttered joint
filled to the rafters.

Young, HIPSTER LOCALS
wander the aisles.

And Cal Seely’s there, too.
He looks up at a section placard.

CRIME FICTION
he squints. Nods.
Starts going down the aisle.

Runs his fingers across the spines,
reading the authors.

He stops on one.
Pulls it out.
Examines the back cover.

His cell phone RINGS.
Cal fishes it out.
Flips it open.

CAL
Seely here.
(listens)
Chief. What’s up?
(listens)
With all due respect sir,
I think he’s full of shit.
(listens)
Of course I think he’s involved.
I think they both are.
Classic love triangle.
You ever see that movie --
(listens)
Yeah.
That’s where I’m going next.
Fishing for DNA.
(beat)
Then I’m gonna check out
the personal trainer.
Something smells fishy.
(listens)
You’re a goddamn laugh-riot.
(listens)
Much.

He CLICKS the phone shut.
Looks at the book,
turns it around,
revealing the title --

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE.

INT. THE SAFE HAVEN - MASTER BEDROOM - LATER THAT EVENING
We hear a shower running
in the next room.

Haven sits on the bed,
casual in Juicy Couture.
Sipping a cocktail.

She grabs her cell phone.
PUNCHES a number. Listens.

HAVEN
(a whisper)
It’s me.
(listens)
It’s time.
(listens)
Okay.

A toilet FLUSHES.

TRIMMER
walks in the room.

Buckling his belt. Scowling.
She CLICKS the phone shut. Smiles.

TRIMMER
Who was that?

HAVEN
My mother.

TRIMMER
I thought you didn’t get along
with your mother.

HAVEN
I don’t.
She hit me up for money.

TRIMMER
Then why are you smiling?

HAVEN
Cause I said NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment