Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Afternoon Delight


Happy Tuesday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 27 of THE DISH, homicide detective Cal Seely interrogates sheriff's deputy Trimmer Waltz about his main suspect in the death of film director Dart Crayce -- his wife, B-movie starlet Haven Crayce, who Trimmer is secretly in cahoots with ...


EXT. MARINA - SHERIFF’S SUBSTATION - DAY
An old, wooden shack
at the edge of the pier.

The Sheriff’s skiff floats and bobs
in the water nearby.

INT. SHERIFF’S SUBSTATION - DAY
Trimmer sits at his desk.
Filling out a report.

Shitty 70’s ‘soft rock’
plays softly on a cheap boombox.

Afternoon Delight, indeed.

MALE VOICE (O.C.)
Anybody home?

TRIMMER
Entree, si vous plait.

Cal Seely ambles in.
Perspiring in his overcoat.

CAL
Deputy Waltz?

TRIMMER
You’re lookin’ at him.

CAL
(flashes badge)
Detective Sergeant Cal Seely, Homicide.

TRIMMER
Please to meet you.
Pull up a log.

CAL
(pulls out a cigar)
I like to stand.
Mind if I smoke?

TRIMMER
I’m allergic. Sorry.
(looks)
That’s quite a stogie.
Freud would have a field day
with THAT.

CAL
(not amused)
I’m investigating the death
of Dart Crayce.

TRIMMER
The film director, on the houseboat.
Yes. Tragic.
(shakes his head)
His poor wife.

CAL
Yes. His poor, young wife --

TRIMMER
Oh. Now listen, I’ve met her,
she’s a nice lady.
No way she could have --

CAL
It’s a good motive.
What was he -- eighty years old?

TRIMMER
Eighty five, I think.

CAL
And I’m sure he was
worth a lot of money.
All those classic, old movies --

They look at each other. Thinking.

TRIMMER
If you ask me, I think you
should check out her personal trainer.
I’ve seen them working out --
and I sensed there was
more going on than just --
weight lifting,
if you know what I mean.

CAL
(pulls out notebook)
The trainer.
What’s his name?

TRIMMER
HER name.
Jett something.
Jett -- Targo, that’s it.
She’s a, you know --
(mimes flexing arm muscle)
Real strong.

CAL
Lesbo?
They having an affair?

TRIMMER
God, no.
It’s just that -- I’m out
on my boat every morning,
and I’d see them.
And, I dunno -- it’s a
gut feeling. You know --
(beat)
The way she’d look at Mrs. Crayce.
All hungry-like.

CAL
(narrows his eyes)
A gut feeling.
(off his nod)
Hungry-like.

PUSH IN ON Trimmer.
A rude leer.

TRIMMER
Yeah, you know --
like an animal. Hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment