Friday, April 24, 2015

Leave The Driving To Us


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 40 of SPIRAL, in the aftermath of the drunken car crash, Shannon forces the car up the Hollywood Hills road to her private driveway, but when she sees she's broken her nose, she starts freaking out ...


INT. CAR - SAME
In slow motion, Shannon's
body is FLUNG FORWARD.

French fries, napkins, the coke,
the shake, go FLYING into the air.

Her face SMACKS into the windshield.

SHANNON
Uhh...

Her body stops in mid-air, then SNAPS
back into the seat like a rag doll.

INT. CAR - NIGHT
In real time -

SHANNON
(groggy)
Uh...

JASON
Are you okay?

Like an animal in danger,
with pure survival adrenaline,
Shannon FLIPS the key and
PUNCHES the gas.

The engine COUGHS and SPUTTERS
with a sickly WHINE.

JASON
The engine's fucked, Shannon.

SHANNON
We're almost there...

Shannon SLAMS the car into gear.
The car SHAKES and slowly, painfully
SCREECHES apart from the fence.

SHANNON
And I'm not gonna get busted...

With sheer will, Shannon forces
the ruined car, which SHRIEKS
like a dying animal, the final
fifty feet to her private road
up to her garage door.

Shannon GRABS the remote
from under the visor and
PUNCHES the button

SHANNON
My head, my fucking head...

The car WHIMPERS into the garage
and GASPS as the engine COUGHS,
then dies.

They get out of the car.
Shannon's face is bleeding,
her nose starting to swell.

She wipes her hand on her nose,
then sees her crimson wrist.

SHANNON
Oh my god, I broke my nose!

JASON
It's okay, it doesn't look that bad.
I'll go call the paramedics.

SHANNON
(shrieking)
No fucking doctors!
I gotta call my manager,
I broke my nose!

Shannon starts SOBBING.

SHANNON
I fucked up my face...
I fucked up my face...
I fucked up my FACE!

A beat. The horror.

SHANNON
Oh my god!
I'm supposed to fly
to New York tomorrow.
How am I gonna dance?

She breaks down and SOBS, losing it,
collapsing to the ground.

Jason puts his arms around her
and comforts her.

JASON
It's gonna be okay...
(pause)
How about I make a
nice Jacuzzi for you inside?
We can figure out
what we're gonna do.

A beat.
The tears suddenly stop.

A strange, empty look
settles on her face.

SHANNON
Shit, I just remembered.
Daisy needs to go out.
Would you take her for a walk?

JASON
You sure?

SHANNON
Yeah, I'm fine.
I'll go do the bath.

EXT. ROAD - NIGHT
The CAMERA follows Jason walking
Daisy down the private road.

They approach the fence,
a splintered ruined mess.

JASON
Shit.

A loud POP rings out.
Daisy BARKS.

JASON
SHANNON!

Jason RUNS up the road --

No comments:

Post a Comment