Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Wolf Of Bleeker Street


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Hump Day. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 8 of ZOMBIE & JULIET, Romy's father Orson Mont, Greenwich Village liberal, forbides him from dating Jool Kapp, a conservative from the upper east side. Meanwhile, Jool's uncle Carling forbids her from dating Romy, as he's already arranged her marriage to a bloated, pompous rich yuppie ...


EXT. GREENWICH VILLAGE BROWNSTONE - NIGHT
A beautiful pre-war three-story
single-residence on a leafy side street.
Elegant. Tasteful. Like out of a time capsule.

INT. MONT RESIDENCE - STUDY - NIGHT
A manly, academic lair.
Bookcases crammed with classic books.

A fire CRACKLES in the hearth.
Classic jazz on the hi-fi.

Prints of classic art.
The joint is, in a word -- classic.

ORSON MONT (40’s) sits at his desk.
Good-looking with a shock of dark hair.

Professorial threads.
Eyes normally crinkled with good humor.

But not now.
Not when they’ve been betrayed.
Seated before him is Rommy, beyond upset.

ROMMY
But Dad, that’s not FAIR.

ORSON
LIFE isn’t fair, Rommy.
You know that.

I’m sorry, but NO son of mine
will EVER be associated with a KAPP.

Did you know they’re trying to pass a law
that anyone who gets infected
is to be SHOT ON SIGHT?
(beat)
And what about the election?
What do you think my chances would be
if word gets out that
my son is dating a KAPP?
I’d have to disown you.
And you don’t want THAT, do you?
(off his stare)
Don’t worry son, it’s only puppy love.
You’re young. You’ll get over it.
There’s plenty of fish below fourteenth street.
(beat)
Now, if you’ll excuse me,
I’ve got a conference call.

He reaches over.
Starts dialing a number on the phone.

Rommy glares at his father.
Angry. Leaves the room.

IN THE CORRIDOR
Rommy shuts the door quietly.
Looks at it. Seething.

ROMMY
Just try and STOP me.

INT. CARLING’S MANSION - JOOL’S BEDROOM - NIGHT
Jool sits on her bed. Eyes on fire.
Royally pissed off

Carling sits next to her.
Tries to comfort her.

CARLING
You’ll see, honey.
It’s for the best.
No niece of mine can be seen
associating with a Mont.

Did you know they’re trying to
pass a law that will give
the infected equal rights?

JOOL
But I LIKE him.
He’s kind, decent, sensitive --
nothing like the pompous jerks up here.
He cares about people, not MONEY.

CARLING
Now you’re talking crazy.
(sighs)
It’s just a schoolgirl crush.
Tate is much better for you.
He comes from a good family.

Jool stares at him, wild-eyed.

JOOL
But I don’t even KNOW him --

CARLING
It’s all been settled, darling.
The wedding has been set for next week --

Nin appears in the doorway.
Arches an eyebrow.

Carling nods for her to come and take over.
He stands. She walks over.

Sits next to Jool.
Tries to comfort her.

CARLING
Get some rest, my love.
You’ll feel better in the morning.
Nin here will take care of you.
He leaves. Jool looks at Nin.

JOOL
What am I going to do?
I want to go out with Rommy,
not marry somebody I don’t know.
And Uncle Carling said the marriage
is NEXT WEEK --

NIN
We’ll see what we can do about THAT.

JOOL
Really?

NIN
Of course.
Ever since your parents --
(beat)
I’ve thought of you like a daughter.

They hug.

JOOL
So do I. I mean, you, like my mother.
(sighs)
What are we going to do?

NIN
I don’t know.
But don’t worry.
There’s more than one way
skin a fat-cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment