Thursday, October 30, 2014

What Happens In Greenwich Village, Stays In Greenwich Village


Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 4 of ZOMBIE & JULIET, we meet downtown hipster Rommy Mont, who's checking out the street fair with his best friend, Merk, who reveals he's found a cure for the virus ... but when Rommy sees Jool wandering down the street, he only has eyes for her ...


EXT. GREENWICH VILLAGE - BLEECKER STREET - NIGHT
A STREET FAIR in full-swing.
Rows of booths and stalls filled
with food from around the world.

A ROCK BAND plays on a raised platform.
A throng of SMILING PARTIERS mill about.

CAMERA finds two YOUNG GUYS (17)
walking through the fair.
Deep in conversation.

YOUNG GUY
I’m not ready yet, Merk.
It’s too soon.

Meet ROMMY MONT.
Nice guy, but awkward. Shy.

Always deep in thought.
Looks wounded. Haunted.

One of those borderline types.
Could transcend ‘nerd’ --
if he’d only try.

Think Ryan Gosling.
Divided by Jessie Eisenberg.
With a dash of Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Dressed a bit too geeky in
pressed jeans and a sweater vest.
Longish hair in search of a style.

MERK
'Too soon?'
It’s been over a year.
You need to move on.
You’ve elevated the grieving
process into an art form.
You need to get laid, my good man.
(waves his hand at the throng)
I mean, look at this sea of female flesh.
All you need to do is dive in.

Meet MERK ROWE, Rommy’s best friend,
already pre-med. Smart. Funny.
The ultimate wing-man.

Tall and thin, with eyes
that twinkle with mischief.
Rakish in a vintage Ramones T.

ROMMY
I don’t see the point.
Why even try?
We’ll never get off this island,
and until there’s a cure for the virus --
(gestures)
You’re just setting yourself up
for disappointment.

MERK
(low)
Can you keep a secret?

ROMMY
What?

MERK
I was working at the school lab last night --
(looks around)
And I think I discovered something.

ROMMY
What?

MERK
A cure.

ROMMY
For the VIRUS?

MERK
Shhhh --
(beat)
Yeah. I just need to try it
on someone who’s infected.

ROMMY
You’re not shitting me?

MERK
I shit you not, my lord.

Rommy stops in his tracks.
Sees something. Stares.

MERK
This is the part where
you call me a genius.
(sees him staring)
What are you looking at?
(beat)
Hello, Earth to Rommy,
Earth to Rommy.
Come in, come in.
We’ve lost your signal.
(beat)
HELLO.

IN THE CROWD
We see JOOL, drifting down
the street toward them.

In complete delight with all the
sights, sounds and smells of the fair.

Taking pictures with her camera.
In her element.

She throws some money in a hat
in front of a STREET MUSICIAN.

Goes to a vendor.
Buys a bouquet flowers. Sniffs them.
Then buys a piece chocolate from another.
Eats it, savoring it.

MERK
Nudges Rommy.

MERK
Look. Someone dropped a
hundred-dollar bill on the sidewalk.

ROMMY
(still staring)
That’s nice.

MERK
Okay. You just stand there like a robot,
and I’m gonna go get another beer.

He walks away, shaking his head.
Jool comes into view.

Sees Rommy gaping at her. Stops.
Looks at him. Fake-angry.

JOOL
Drool much?
Didn’t your mother teach you
it’s not polite to stare?

ROMMY
I’m -- sorry.

JOOL
It’s okay.
Just busting your chops.

He comes out of his trance.
Faint hint of a smile.

ROMMY
Color me busted.

JOOL
(offers hand to shake)
Jool.

ROMMY
(shakes)
Rommy. Nice to meet you.
(beat)
Pretty name.

They stop shaking.
But don’t let go.

If this were animated,
we’d see an electric spark CRACKLE.

JOOL
It’s short for Juliet,
but I HATE that name.
It’s so corny.
(beat)
Is Rommy short for -- Romeo?

ROMMY
Worse.
Short for Romulus.
Father’s a Trekkie.

They realize. Let go.
An awkward moment. Then --

ROMMY
So you’re, uh --
enjoying the street fair?

JOOL
Yeah, it’s AMAZING.
We don’t have them where I come from.
like another WORLD.

He looks at her expensive,
understated clothing. Realizes.

ROMMY
You’re -- from uptown?

JOOL
Yeah.
But I think I like it better downtown.

ROMMY
You’re a Kapp --

JOOL
Shhh. Don’t tell anyone.
What happens in Greenwich Village,
stays in Greenwich Village.

Pause.

ROMMY
You have -- the most beautiful eyes.

JOOL
(looks closely)
Yours are sad. Wounded.
Like you’ve been -
(beat)
I’m sorry. That was stupid.
I do that all the time.
I get too personal too quickly --
talk without thinking.
Some people say I talk too MUCH.
'Oh, look -- there’s Chatty Kathy.'

ROMMY
That’s okay. I like to talk.
I mean, talking’s good.
If people would just talk to each other,
the world would be a --
(beat)
Would you like to get some ice cream?
(beat)
Sit and talk?

JOOL
I’d like that.

She leans in.
Kisses him on the cheek.

Then pulls away.
Surveys the damage.

Rommy’s face flushes a deep red.

ROMMY
Wh-what was that for?

JOOL
Just curious.
(beat)
I’ve never seen a boy blush like that.

PUSH IN ON Rommy’s face.
Heart racing.

ROMMY
So, uh -- what’s your favorite flavor?

No comments:

Post a Comment