Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Dude Abides


Happy Tuesday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 18 of AFTERHOURS, Danny and the hostages have a surprise visitor to the club ... Harry Dill, who's looking for drug dealer Mickey Mertz, who's shocked to find out that he's dead ...


INT. AFTER HOURS CLUB - EARLY MORNING
The buzzer RINGS. Everyone looks.

DANNY
Too soon to be Vin --
(to Mia)
Go see who it is.
Tell ‘em we’re closed.

If it’s a cop, stall him.
If it’s the loan shark guys,
tell ‘em Angel’s gone.

Mia nods. Gets up.
Walks over to the door.
Danny follows her.

MIA
Sorry. We’re closed.

EXCITED MALE VOICE (O.C.)
I’m looking for Mickey.
I know he’s here.

Angel breathes a sigh of relief.

MIA
I said WE’RE CLOSED.

EXCITED MALE VOICE (O.C.)
C’mon, man. I know he’s here.
Let me in. It’s an emergency.

MIA
He’s not here. He left.

EXCITED MALE VOICE (O.C.)
Oh, yeah?
Then why’s his car still here?
If you don’t let me in,
I’m gonna call the cops.

DANNY
(to Mia)
Step aside.

She does. Danny unlocks the door.
YANKS it open. Aims his sawed-off
at Excited Male Voice.

DANNY
Shut the fuck up and
get your ass in here.

In walks HARRY DILL (60’s), dishevelled,
with shaggy hair and a beard.

Natty in flip flops, board shorts
and a ratty tie-dyed t-shirt
that makes The Dude
look sophisticated.

DANNY
Go over there and
sit with the others.

HARRY
(stares at the gun)
I can dig it. Tight security.
Chill. I’m cool. I’m cool.
(looks at the others)
Where’s Mickey?
(sees Angel’s stump)
Whoah.
Dude’s missing an arm.
Now that’s what I call
a fucking party.

DANNY
Sit down and shut the fuck up.

HARRY
So where’s Mickey?
In the head?

DANNY
Mickey’s dead. SIT.

HARRY
He’s DEAD?
W-what happened?

Danny PUNCHES him in the stomach.
Harry doubles over.

HARRY
Dude. That fucking HURT.
Why’d you have to do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment