Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Postman Only Rings Once


Happy Tuesday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 17 of THE DISH, B-movie starlet Haven Crayce pays an emergency visit to her adulterous lover Jett Targo's joint to get some help ... killing her husband.


EXT. JETT’S APARTMENT - BALCONY - NIGHT
Lit by a gas lamp.

Jett sits at a small cafe
table with a laptop.

A half-dozen empty beer bottles
litter the surface.

She lights a smoke.
Looks intently at the screen.

ON THE SCREEN
we see a scene from
THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE.

LANA TURNER, resplendent in a
white one-piece bathing suit,
sashays down the stairs.

Stops.
James Garfield leers.

JAMES GARFIELD (V.O.)
With my brains and your looks,
we could really go places --

JETT
looks at her wistfully.
Takes a pull from her longneck.

JETT
I’ll have to get Haven
one of those.

Her cell phone BRING-RINGS.
She picks it up.

JETT
This is Jett.

HAVEN (V.O.)
It’s me.

JETT
Hello, you.
What’s up?

HAVEN (V.O.)
I need to see you.

JETT
But I thought --

HAVEN (V.O.)
It’s an emergency.
Dart, he --
(beat)
I’m right outside.
Can I come up?

Jett looks, sees --

HAVEN
standing in the driveway
down below.

With Buster on a leash.
Small and scared-looking.

She waves, a hopeful
half-smile.

JETT
My place is a mess.
I’ll be right down.

EXT. JETT’S APARTMENT BUILDING - DRIVEWAY - MOMENTS LATER
Jett dashes over to Haven. Worried.
Pulls her down the driveway
to where it ends at the canal.

JETT
What’s up?
Did something go wrong?

HAVEN
He went into shock.
He’s having -- an attack.

JETT
That’s good, right?

HAVEN
Yeah, but he’s so -- loud.
I’m scared.
I’m afraid he’s gonna
wake up the neighborhood,
especially fucking Nola.
Can you come back
to the boat with me?

JETT
Isn’t that kinda dangerous?
What about --

HAVEN
It’s one in the morning.
Everyone’s lights are out.
(beat)
And I want to keep it that way --

No comments:

Post a Comment