Friday, September 11, 2015

American Tweaker


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 5 of THE DISH, drugged-out meth addict Rush Madder pays an unwanted visit to Jett, who blocks him from entering her apartment building. Meanwhile, B-movie starlet Haven Crayce and her retired film director husband Dart settle in for a home screening of DOUBLE INDEMNITY ...


EXT. APARTMENT BUILDING - NIGHT
An old apartment building between
two three-million dollar homes.

On the cheap side of the
Grand Canal’s Silver Strand.

Jett stands on the front stoop.
Fishes out her keys.

Unlocks the door.
Starts to push it open, when --

MALE VOICE (O.C.)
Where have you been?
I’ve been waiting for over an hour.

Jett WHIPS AROUND to see --

RUSH MADDER (25). Blonde. Ghostly.
Jittery. Bloodshot eyes.

Pierced eyebrows.
Skinny black jeans.

The all-American tweaker.
With that never-scrubbed
‘up for three days’ look.

JETT
Rush. What are you doing here?

RUSH
(wipes his nose)
I thought we could hang out.

JETT
It’s over, Rush.
I told you.
I don’t want to see you anymore.
(starts to push the door closed)
I’m sorry, goodbye.

Rush GRABS the door.
Eyes flashing.
Menacing sneer.

RUSH
Don’t close the fucking door on me!
I drove all the way
from Long Beach to see you,
and this is the thanks I get?
(beat)
I brought you a gift.
Check it out.

He pulls out a glass vial.
Holds it up. Sickly smile.

Jett SLAMS the door on Rush’s foot.
He SCREAMS in pain.

RUSH
OW, Fuck! That HURT --

Jett KICKS Rush’s foot out.
BANGS the door closed. LOCKS it.

JETT
(through the glass window)
I asked you to stay AWAY from me,
and I tried to be NICE about it,
but OBVIOUSLY that
doesn’t WORK with you.
I don’t want to SEE YOU anymore.
STAY AWAY from me.

RUSH
What did I do?
I never did anything to hurt you.
C’mon, Jett -- please.

JETT
GO AWAY!

She turns on her heel
and races up the stairs,
two at a time.

INT. CRAYCE HOUSEBOAT - AT THAT MOMENT
Dart is propped up in bed.
Natty in a smoking jacket and ascot.

Haven sits in a chair by the bed,
resplendent in a fancy gown.

But no red carpet.
Just thick, brown shag.

DART
I can’t believe you’ve never seen it.

HAVEN
So I’m seeing it now.

DART
Shhh.

ON THE SCREEN
we see titles: DOUBLE INDEMNITY.

DART (O.C.) (CONT'D)
Listen to that score.
They don’t compose ‘em
like that any more --


No comments:

Post a Comment