Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Room Service


Happy Tuesday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 17 of BLUE HOTEL, it's a clusterfuck of epic proportions when wannabe writer Holly Land brings dead agent Oscar Goldman's assistant Feo back to the scene of the crime at hooker Alona Tal's motel room at gun point and reveals what happened to his boss ...


INT. HOLLY’S SHITTY HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT
Feo stumbles into the room,
scared to death.

Holly follows him in.
Pointing the gun at him
through her purse.

She closes the door.
Pulls it out.
Waves it at him.

HOLLY
Sit, on the bed.

FEO
(sits)
Look, I’m sorry you --
got in trouble.
If you let me go,
I promise I won’t
tell the cops anything.

HOLLY
Yeah, right.

FEO
I promise.
(beat)
Please don’t shoot me --

HOLLY
Shut up.
I have to think.

FEO
I have an idea --

HOLLY
I said SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Feo gulps.
Stares at her balefully.

Holly goes to the kitchenette,
keeping the gun on him.

Pours a glass of vodka.
Takes a big glug.

Wipes her mouth.
Looks at him.

HOLLY
Stupid jerk and
your stupid script.
(beat)
Why couldn’t you just
mind your own business?
(off his silence)
Hello?
I asked you a QUESTION.

FEO
(low)
You told me to shut up.

HOLLY
Not NOW.

FEO
I have to get
this script to him,
it’s a matter of
life and death --
Scarlet Stone is
reading it tonight,
and --
(beat)
Wait a minute.
Why don’t I
give you the script,
can give it to him,
and I’ll just -- go away.
I won’t say ANYTHING
to the cops, I promise.
Please, this is gonna
cost me my job --

HOLLY
(takes another sip)
That’s -- not possible.

FEO
Not possible?
What do you mean?

HOLLY
(softly)
Oscar’s dead.

FEO
What?
You robbed the liquor store
AND killed my boss?

Holly drains the glass.
Pours another.

Takes a sip.
Weaves a little.

Walks over to him.
Shaking the gun back and forth.

HOLLY
I didn’t ROB
the fucking liquor store,
I just had the bad luck to
BE there when those
chollo GREASEBALLS did.

FEO
But I saw you, on the tape,
with the gun.

HOLLY
Shut the fuck up
and LISTEN TO ME.
It was self-defense.
he Rasta shot the
first gang-banger,
and his gun flew away
and landed on the floor
next to me -- and then
I shot the second one
as he came in.
(hiccups)
It was self-defense.

Pause.

FEO
And -- what happened to Oscar?

HOLLY
(eyes tear up)
I thought he was attacking Alona --
I was just trying to save her --
and I --
(beat)
Stabbed him in the back
with a pair of scissors.

She breaks down.
Starts crying.

FEO
Hey, it’s okay --

He gets up.
Starts to come to her.

HOLLY
DON’T MOVE.
(aims the gun at him)
Stay right the fuck
WHERE YOU ARE.

A soft KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCK
at the door.

ALONA (O.C.)
Holly?
It’s me, Alona.
Who’s in there with you?
Are you okay?

Holly smiles strangely.
Goes to the door.
Opens it.

HOLLY
Come on in
and join the party.

Alona walks in, sees Feo.
Stops.

ALONA
Who’s he?

HOLLY
Oscar’s assistant.

FEO
(to Holly)
Who’s she?

HOLLY
Oscar’s date.

ALONA
Holy shit.

HOLLY
Tell me about it --

No comments:

Post a Comment