Thursday, September 15, 2011

What Doesn't Kill You



Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 24 of WILSHIRE BOULEVARD, homicide dicks Bernie Keko and Aya Meir interview greiving widow Gay Flender at her late husband's production company. Meanwhile, private eye Carrie Love warns new flame Jenny Lane about the 'impending darkness' about to fall ...


INT. YAVO/FLENDER FILMS - FLENDER’S OFFICE - MORNING
Fleming sits behind Harvey’s big desk. Feet up.

On the phone. Listening.
Twirling the cord with his finger.

FLEMING
I understand, Jackie.
But we have one show in prep,
one in principal, and two in post.
Somebody has to steer the ship,
and since I’ve been first mate
for over ten years --

FEMALE VOICE (O.C.)
Love the nautical references.

GAY FLENDER
stands in the doorway.
Hands on hips. Livid.

GAY
Now get THE FUCK
out of my husband’s office.

FLEMING
(into the phone)
Gotta go.
(SLAMS it down)
Gay. How are you?

GAY
I’ll be fine when you
GET THE FUCK out of here.

FLEMING
(stands)
I’m sorry, I thought I should --

GAY
You thought? You THOUGHT?
That’s the problem right there.
You tried to THINK.
Now go back to your work station
and answer the fucking phones.

FLEMING
(as he leaves, dejected)
Okay, Mrs. -- uh, Gay.

GAY
And get me a Perrier
while you’re at it. Lime.
In a cup. With a fuckload of ice.

And then get Variety on the phone.
I’ve gotta statement to make.

Modi walks in. Looks jittery. Spooked.

MODI
Gay. What are you doing here?
In -- Harvey’s office?

GAY
It’s my office now.
(low)
Yavo was killed last night,
shot in the head.

MODI
Yavo’s -- dead?

GAY
(nods)
Someone has to -- steer the ship.

MODI
Where? When?
We should account for where we were.

GAY
(sharp whisper)
Shhh. Not here.

A voice BLEATS on the desktop intercom.

JENNY (O.C.)
Gay? There are a couple of --
detectives here to see you.

GAY
(to herself)
Shit.
(into the intercom)
Bring them on back, Jenny -- thanks.

Gay and Modi exchange looks.

INT. HARVEY FLENDER’S OFFICE - AT THAT MOMENT
Bernie and Aya stand in the doorway.
Gay swivels in the large, leather desk chair.
Sips Perrier.

Modi perches on the couch.
Bright, scary-beaming face.
Sips his coffee.

GAY
I’ve already been through this
twice with a couple different officers.
Is this really necessary?

BERNIE
Just a few routine questions, ma’am.

GAY
Detective, my husband was MURDERED,
and I think you should be out there
trying to find his KILLER --
instead of badgering me with the
same questions over and over again.

Bernie nods slowly.
Fishes out his card.
Hands it to Gay.

BERNIE
Call me if you remember anything else.

Aya pulls out her card.
Slides it onto the desk.

AYA
Call me if you need someone to talk to.
I have a psychology degree.
I’ve done a lot of grief counseling.

BERNIE
And don’t leave town.

GAY
Leave town?
I have a funeral to plan.
A eulogy to write, a -- a --

She breaks down. Starts crying.

INT. JENNY’S APARTMENT - AT THAT MOMENT
Jenny stands at the front door.
Shrugs into her jacket.

Smiles wanly at Carrie,
looking out the windows, back to us.

JENNY
Just make yourself at home.
I’m sorry, but I have to go to work.
Modi, my boss -- can be --

CARRIE
An asshole. So you said.

JENNY
Everything’s gonna be okay.
You can stay as long as you like.
Help yourself to what’s in the fridge.
When I get back, I’ll fix us a nice dinner.

CARRIE
(turns)
Thanks. You’re really --

JENNY
It’s okay.

Jenny walks over to Carrie.
Leans up. Kisses her. They hug.

CARRIE
I can feel storm clouds gathering.
You better be careful.

JENNY
Careful? Careful of what?

CARRIE
They say what doesn’t kill you
makes you stronger.

JENNY
Kill who? Me?

PUSH IN ON Carrie.
Falling apart.

CARRIE
No. Me.

3 comments:

  1. I love the creative energy you radiate in your storytelling and style. It is like a haiku stylized pulse pouring through each character and the sensuality struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gay and Modi? You know... Modi is on my list... keeping an eye on that guy!

    Hmmm... wouldn't have taken Aya for the 'touchy-feely' type! This is a character with some depth... I like her... and not just because she almost turned Bernie's balls into applesauce... haha!

    Poor Carrie... hanging on by a thread... 'you're right honey... what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

    Great chapter, hun... loved the scene in the office. Now... what's this with Jenny going off to work? Her and Carrie are supposed to be wrinkling the Wamsuttas? Hahaha!

    Love you! MWAH!!

    xoxoxoxo <3 <3 <3

    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leo -

    Many thanks. Your kind words warm my cold, cruel heart.

    Ronnie -

    Hey. A gal's gotta pay the bills ...

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete