Monday, September 19, 2011

Once An Outlaw



Hey there, crime kids. Happy Monday. Having a hard time getting back into the grind? Then why not to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling

In Chapter 26 of WILSHIRE BOULEVARD, private eye Carrie Love hides out at her favorite dive bar to drink away her sorrows ... and then gets a phone call from homicide detective Bernie Keko, who has some shocking news ...


INT. DIVE BAR - MORNING
Paul Anka’s shaken-not-stirred cover of
BLACKHOLE SUN coos on the jukebox.

Behind the bar, Axel cleans a glass.

Carrie sits on a stool with a beer and a shot.
Looks like death warmed over.
Brittle. Lost. Haunted.

AXEL
So I guess you’re a regular now.

CARRIE
More like an 'irregular.'

AXEL
So you have the day off
from the detective thing?

CARRIE
Hey. Like the sign says,
‘get the day started right.’

AXEL
I might look like an asshole shit-kicker,
but I’m a good listener.
At least my girlfriend says so --
(beat)
Wanna tell me about it?

Carrie drinks the amber liquid.
SLAMS the shot glass down.

CARRIE
Keep ‘em coming.

AXEL
(pours)
I didn’t mean to pry.
You just look like you
could use a friend.

She DOWNS it.
CRACKS the glass on the bar.
Axel pours.

CARRIE
(sips her beer)
Well, let’s see.
First, my girlfriend left the country
without saying goodbye,
then a one-night stand hired me
to find out who killed her husband,
so I just HAD to fuck her receptionist --
and then, OH YEAH,
my fucking HOUSE BURNED DOWN,
and I LOST EVERYTHING,
so I BEAT THE SHIT outta
the guy who did it,
and ALMOST KILLED him.
(DOWNS the shot)
Ahhhhh. Get the day started right.
(burps)
Oh, yeah -- jail was nice, too.

AXEL
That’s some fucked-up shit.
I’m sorry.
(beat)
Fuck.

She points at the shot glass.
Smiles, evil.

AXEL
Maybe you should slow it down a bit.
You have any breakfast yet?
(off her silence)
How ‘bout I fix you a cheeseburger?
Get somethin’ in yer belly.
CARRIE
(a whisper)
That would be -- really nice of you.

Axel nods. Shuffles into the back.
Carrie crumples. About to lose it.

Her cell RINGS.
She fishes it out. Listens.

CARRIE
Hello?

INTERCUT WITH:

INT./EXT - UNMARKED CAR - MOVING - CONTINUOUS
Aya drives. Bernie speaks on the car phone. White-faced.

BERNIE
Carrie?

CARRIE
Bernie. How’s tricks?
Oh, that’s right, tricks are for chicks.

BERNIE
Not so good, Carrie.
(beat)
The ballistics report shows
your gun killed Flender.

CARRIE
You mean the Magnum?
(mumbles, to herself)
So it didn’t just disappear.
I knew someone fucking took it.

BERNIE
The revolving door on your bedroom
won’t work as an alibi, Carrie.
(ominous)
We have a big problem.

CARRIE
We always had a problem, Bernie.
Except the sex was so fucking good --

BERNIE
We can do this one of two ways.
You can turn yourself in, now --
and I’ll get the best fucking deal
I can for you, I promise.

CARRIE
And the second way?

BERNIE
You don’t want that.
It’s not pretty.

CARRIE
As Steve Martin said,
Comedy isn’t pretty.
And you’re forgetting the third way.

BERNIE
Carrie --

CARRIE
It’s called --
(realizes)
Eat shit and DIE, motherfucker.

She CLICKS the phone shut.
Bernie hangs up. Dials another number.

BERNIE
You get the location?
(beat)
Shit.

AYA
I told you.
You should have let me talk to her.
Now we don’t know where she is.

BERNIE
Shut THE FUCK up.
That’s my EX-WIFE,
who’s now a fugitive from the law.

AYA
You still have feelings for her.

PUSH IN ON Bernie. In denial.

BERNIE
Shut the fuck up and drive.

IN THE BAR
Carrie wolfs down the greasy burger.
Axel watches, proud.

AXEL
The secret is what I put in the meat.
Some pepper, ground onion --
and Tabasco sauce.

CARRIE
If I wasn’t on the lam,
I’d fuck your brains out.

AXEL
On -- the lam?

CARRIE
I’ve been fingered.
Someone framed me for murder.
So now I have to go underground.
(realizes)
Shit. What do I do with my car --

AXEL
That’s a tough break.
(thinks)
Hey. I live right down the block.
And I have an empty garage.
I keep my hog in the living room
where it’s warm.

CARRIE
You’d -- do that for me?

AXEL
Did five years in Ossining.
Gang fight with another cycle club.
Ruled justifiable homicide,
but I had a kilo of smack in the saddle bag.
Left the club after I got sprung.
Too old for that shit anymore.

He pours two shots.
They lift them in a toast.

CARRIE
Once an outlaw, always an outlaw.

AXEL
Something like that --

And they DOWN THEM.

3 comments:

  1. WOW!! KILLER Monday chapter!!

    Wow... this is too cool... I love the dialogue... Carrie and Bernie... damn! Those two are awesome... you have created such a great chemistry with these two... and you make it seem so effortless. Makes all the difference, drawing from personal experience and people around you... the feel is just so much more...

    Dang... everyone is writing about cheeseburgers today... I am so craving a good burger right now! First place I am going to hit when we go to Seaside is this little burger place on the boardwalk... Heaven on a bun, sweetie! heaven on a bun!!

    Cheeseburgers still on the brain... Five Guys down in Oregon City... bacon cheeseburger with roasted jalapenos! I am not kidding honey... you will cum in your panties... right there!

    I like Axel... he makes a mean cheeseburger... tabasco, some onion and black pepper... damn... if I wasn't a lesbian, I'd fuck his brains out! LOL!!

    Okay, I gotta go eat something... or someone!

    "Night, sweetie!

    xoxoxo <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie and Bernie are the heart of the story. Like to think of them as Tracy and Hepburn.

    We're right now approaching Kelly Preston and her husband to play them. Wouldn't THAT be cool?

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOTALLY COOL!!!

    That would be awesome... they have some really good chemistry! I think they would really bring a lot to the roles.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete