Monday, July 26, 2010

Does A Bear Get Wood?

Happy Monday, crime-busters! It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side. A place where your darkest fantasies become cold-blooded acts of hardboiled violence, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 30 of THE HEISTERS, we reach the exciting conclusion of our story, where in a mind-blowing twist, we learn the REAL identity of the person who ripped off the heisters ...


EXT. VENICE BEACH PARKING LOT - NIGHT
A patrol car sits idling at the very north end
of the lot near the entrance.

Kelsey trots over to it, limping a bit.
She gets in. SLAMS the door.

INT. PATROL CAR - NIGHT
Terrence sits behind the wheel. Smiles at Kelsey.

TERRENCE
Ding, dong, the witch is dead?

KELSEY
Follow the yellow brick smashed on her head --
(beat)
You got the dough?

TERRENCE
Does a bear get wood?

KELSEY
Solid. Where to, the airport?

TERRENCE
Charter flight to Mexico awaits --

He puts the car into gear. Starts driving.

TERRENCE
You never told me.
What are you gonna do with your half-mil?
Retire?

KELSEY
Thought I’d go cruise around Europe
for a year or so. Never been.
(beat)
But I’ll be back.
A half-million isn’t going to last forever.
(beat)
And besides, I’m a heister.
It’s in my blood.

Terrence nods.
Turns east on Navy Street.

EXT. CONSTRUCTION SITE - NIGHT
Mart, Nunn and Isaacs find Ronan’s body.
Ren and Meg examine Doll’s corpse.
They call it in.
Start combing the area for evidence.

A trio of SQUAD CARS pull up,
lights FLASHING.

KELSEY (V.O.)
The plan was simple.
I knew every detail about the heist
because I planned it --
and where the money
would end up afterwards.

INT. PATROL CAR - MOVING - NIGHT
Terrence drives. Kelsey looks out the window. Thinking.

KELSEY (V.O.)
We knew there was going to be a double-cross,
so all Terrence had to do
was tail Ronan and see what he was up to,
and then between the two of us
working both sides of the law,
we could connect the dots.
It got a little hairy there for awhile,
but we pulled it off.

EXT. SIDEWALK CAFE - DAY - FLASHBACK
Kelsey and Terrence sit at a table outside.
It’s deserted. Late. No one else around.

TERRENCE
Give me one reason I don’t take you in right now.

KELSEY
How about a half-a-million reasons.

Terrence sips his coffee.
Narrows his eyes.

TERRENCE
How I do I know I can trust you?

KELSEY
I’ve never been caught.
And I’ve got a score to settle.
With you on my team, it’s a slam-dunk.
(beat)
Word on the street is
you’re into Jimmy Two-Fingers
for fifty-K betting on the ponies,
and I had funny feeling
offering you a half-million tax free
would be a home run.

He stares at her a long beat.
Then breaks into a big smile.

TERRENCE.
Let’s play ball.

INT. BAR - NIGHT - FLASHBACK
Kelsey sits at a booth,
Ronan across from her.
Talking earnestly.

Kelsey smokes.
Watching him, stone-faced.

KELSEY (V.O.)
I knew something was up
when Ronan first approached me.
After that drunken tryst on New Year’s
when I first saw his ‘needle dick,’
there was no way he would
want to REALLY work with me.
Not after I laughed at him like that.
That kinda shit cuts to the core
of a guy’s manhood.
Pun intended.
But what could I do?
I couldn’t help it.
I mean, he was hung like a light switch.

INT. PATROL CAR - MOVING - NIGHT
Kelsey lights a cigarette. Rolls down the window.
Feels the warm night hair blow on her face.

KELSEY (V.O.)
I learned a valuable lesson that night.
Never fuck a heister.
(beat)
Because if you don’t watch out,
they’ll fuck you right back.

Kelsey says something to Terrence.
He pulls the car over to the side of the road.
She smiles. Opens the car door --

WHIPS OUT her pistol.
SHOOTS him in the chest.
BANG. BANG. BANG.

Terrence slumps over. Dead.

KELSEY (V.O.)
Oh, yeah. One last thing.
(beat)
Never trust a heister.
(beat)
It could get you killed --

FADE TO BLACK

2 comments:

  1. You can't see me, Carole… but I am standing and applauding!!! Woo Hoo!!

    This was an AWESOME story, Carole!!! WOW!! You know... you had me hooked from the opening scene in Chapter One, when you are describing Kelsey –

    “…. Curves galore. Legs for days. Lips for nights.” (I told Tina I wanted her to say that about me! She just SMILED!!) I knew right then, I was in for a very special treat!!

    Okay... I wondered a while back if maybe there was a cop in on this, but until the last chapter... never saw Terrence as the one... I actually had a little fantasy that Meg was in on the heist, and her and Kelsey would drive off into the sunset with the loot... haha!!

    Ah ha!!! I was wondering how, or when Kelsey tumbled that Ronan was going to rip her off.. so, once she realized this, that is when she brought Terrence in? Yeah... right, because Ronan is the one that came to Kelsey with the idea for heisting the concert (thinkin' out loud here, and Kelsey sees a "win-win" for her, if she can find a dirty cop, right?

    Boy, did Terrence really think Kelsey was going to let him walk off with half a mil? Tsk... tsk... tsk... greed made him stupid!

    Amazing story, Carole! I loved every minute of it!! Every single minute!! You are so AWESOME, girl!!

    Wow... I am so wound up from just reading these last two chapters... I gotta go burn off some of this energy!

    I read the first chapter of Gun Wild the other day... think I'll go pick that back up!

    Catch you later, Sweetie! Be well!

    xoxoxo

    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. So glad you liked it. I really had fun writing this one.

    The clue about Terrence was his playing the ponies, and being in debt ...

    Am doing a rewrite now, and then, Hollywood, here we come.

    Look forward to your comments on GUN-WILD. That one is REALLY fucked-up ...

    And don't miss FULL BODY, now up on the blog. Think SEX & THE CITY + THE SOPRANOS, but nastier, dirtier, and more fucked up ...

    LUV YA, doll ... !

    xoxoxo<3

    ReplyDelete