Friday, August 21, 2015

Can't We All Just Get Along?


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.


In Chapter 25 of AFTERHOURS, after a pair of goons show up to try and get the debt that Angel owes their boss, the hostages take turns trying to fend them off ...

INT. THE EXIT ROOM - EARLY MORNING
Danny LEAPS around, JAMS
his sawed-off against Ned’s cheek.

DANNY
Don’t move.
Drop it.

PUB
(to Danny)
Drop yours, or I blow
da spic’s head off.

DANNY
Drop yours, or I spray the wall
with Jed Clampett’s brains.

NED
(to Pub)
Wait, wait.
If you shoot him, we don’t get no money.
(to Danny)
Who the fuck are you?

DANNY
None of your fucking business.
Who the fuck are YOU?

PUB
He owes our boss money --

NED
And we’re here to collect.

DANNY
How much?

PUB
Two thousand.

ANGEL
TWO thousand?
The weekly vig’s supposed to be one.

NED
It doubles if you’re late.

DANNY
I’ll give it to you
if you put your gun down.

PUB
You’ll give it to me? Right.
You just happen to carry around
that much cash.

DANNY
I’ve got it, okay?
(off his look)
I’m in a similar line of work.

NED
How do I know you’re not
gonna blow my head off?

DANNY
You’re just gonna have to trust me.

PUB
He’s bluffing.

EASY (O.C.)
Gentlemen.
Can’t we all just get along?

Reveal Easy.
Standing nearby,
jacket over his shoulders.

NED
Holy shit. It’s Easy Washington.

PUB
Who gives a shit.
I fookin’ hate baseball.

EASY
(smiles)
And I hate soccer. We’re even.

NED
I just heard on the radio
that you’re a bone-smuggler.

EASY
Well, bisexual is more accurate.

NED
(aims his gun at Easy)
A fag’s a fag, no matter
if he eats pussy.
It’s like being half-black,
yer still black.

SKY (O.C.)
Is that any way to speak
to a sports legend?

Reveal Sky.
Standing a few feet to the side.
Holding Vin’s gun, aimed at Pub.

PUB
Who the fuck are -- wait a minute.
(to Ned)
That’s Sky Masters.

NED
Who?

PUB
Sky Masters.
He was in ‘Baby Heister.’
You know. The wheelman.

NED
Oh, yeah.

SKY
Nice to meet you, fellas.
Now why don’t we all put our guns down
so my friend can give you your money.
Whattaya say?

NED
Bullshit. You’re tryin’ to trick us.

Reveal Casey and Bettie.
Holding bottles of booze.
They both take a swig. Smile.

BETTIE
C’mon, boys --

CASEY
Let’s get the party STARTED.

No comments:

Post a Comment