Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Keep On Truckin'


Happy Tuesday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 18 of FILLMORE, Peach decides to leave the game, as it's making her 'old before her time.' Later that day, Slim jams in his garage with Booker T., then later that night at their first gig, he meets Bill Graham, who offers him a gig as the house band at the Fillmore West
opening for The Grateful Dead ...


INT. SLIM’S APARTMENT - PEACH’S BEDROOM - NIGHT
Peach stands at her dresser. Taking out clothes
and putting them in a suitcase on the bed.
Slim stands in the doorway, watching her, looks sad.

SLIM
You sure I can’t change your mind?

PEACH
You know I love you, Slim --
but I’m tired of The Game.
It’s making me old before my time.
I wanna go back to Texas and smell the roses.
Kick back and enjoy life.
(smiles)
Besides, who wants an old hooker anyways?

SLIM
You AIN’T old.

PEACH
You know what I mean.
The johns like the fresh young fillies, not the old hen --

Slim walks over. Puts his arms around her.

SLIM
Some men prefer a fine wine that gets better with age.

PEACH
You always were a sweet-talker.
My bus leaves in an hour, and I gotta finish packing.

Slim pulls a small wad of cash out of his pocket.
Hands it to her. Peach looks at it. Her eyes grow wide.

SLIM
Your retirement package. After five years of service.

PEACH
(hugs him)
Oh, Slim --

SLIM
A little something for all the good times we’ve had.

INT. SLIM’S APARTMENT BUILDING - GARAGE - DAY
The garage is filled with brand-new musical instruments and amplifiers.
Slim holds an electric guitar, talks with BOOKER T (20’s)
a good-looking guy sitting behind a Hammond organ.
Behind them, the DRUMMER (30’s) and BASS PLAYER (20’s) watch.

ACROSS THE STREET
Over the music, we see Dick and Norm
sitting in an undercover vehicle, watching them.

IN THE GARAGE
Slim looks at sheet music on a music stand.

SLIM
It’s really that simple, Booker T?

BOOKER T
(nods)
Once you learn those three chords,
you can play almost every blues song there is.

BASS PLAYER
(smiles)
And most rock n’ roll, too --

BOOKER T
That’s right.

SLIM
A, D and E --

BOOKER T
Come on, let’s give it a whirl.
I’ll nod my head when it’s time to change chords.
Just follow my lead --

Slim nods. The bass player and drummer start playing a beat.
Booker T starts playing an A chord -- Slim strums along.

Booker T NODS, then plays a D chord. Slim follows.
Booker nods again, changes to an E chord. Slim follows, smiling.

BOOKER T
He’s GOT it. My man is playing THE BLUES.

They go back to A, then D, then E.
Slim tests the waters. Starts singing.

SLIM
The thrill is gone, the thrill is gone, the thrill is gone away --
The thrill is gone, baby, the thrill is gone away --
You know you done me wrong, baby, and you'll be sorry someday --

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. FILLMORE STREET BLUES CLUB - NIGHT
A small, local joint. Dark. Smoky.
Tight, packed with people, hot and sweaty.

Slim and his new band play onstage, Slim on guitar.
The crowd watches them cook.

SLIM
(sings)
The thrill is gone, it's gone away for good --
Oh, the thrill is gone, baby, baby its gone away for good --
Someday I know I'll be over it all, baby --
Just like I know a man should.

They finish. The crowd CLAPS, WHISTLES.

AT THE BAR
Slim and the band are having cocktails. Enjoying themselves.
BILL GRAHAM (30’s), dark, Eastern-European, intense-looking,
taps Slim on the shoulder. He turns and looks.

BILL GRAHAM
That was a great show.

SLIM
Thanks, man.

BILL GRAHAM
The name’s Bill Graham. I run The Fillmore Auditorium.

He offers his hand to shake. Slim takes it. Shakes.

SLIM
Wow, man. It’s great to meet you.

BILL GRAHAM
I’ve been looking for a house band to open for the headliners --
and when I saw your name on the marquee,
I thought I’d come in and check you out.

SLIM
(smiles)
I get it. The man who runs The Fillmore
comes to see Fillmore Slim play.

BILL GRAHAM
So whattaya say? Do you want to be my house band?

Slim looks at his band mates. They all stare, open-mouthed.

SLIM
Hell, yeah.

BILL GRAHAM
Can you start Saturday night?

SLIM
Does a chicken have skinny legs?
(beat)
Who’s playing?

BILL GRAHAM
Local band, The Grateful Dead --



No comments:

Post a Comment