Friday, June 8, 2012

Party Out Of Bounds



Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 19 of BLUE HOTEL, after 'attorney to the stars' Lief Scott and drug dealer Beggar Leck make their escape from the party after the coke whore's 'death by cocaine,' Venice Beach officers Danette Day and Kenny Speed arrive at the scene of the crime ...


EXT. VENICE BEACH POLICE SUBSTATION - NIGHT
Gill walks up to the door. Hesitates. Turns around.

GILL
What was I thinking?

He walks over to a bench. Sits down.
Pulls out his cell phone.
Punches a number. Listens.

INTERCUT WITH:

INT. HOLLY’S SHITTY HOTEL ROOM - CONTINUOUS
Alona stares at Holly. Then at Feo.

ALONA
What the fuck are we gonna do NOW?

Her phone RINGS.
She pulls it out of her pocket.
Answers it.

ALONA (CONT’D)
Hello?

GILL
Alona, it’s me, Gill.

ALONA
Where are you? What’s taking so long?

GILL
I got mugged, AND carjacked.
They got my wallet AND my car.

ALONA
SHIT. Are you okay?

GILL
I’m fine. Sort of.
(beat)
Finally stopped shaking --

ALONA
So are you coming back to the hotel?

GILL
Not yet. I have an idea.
(looks around)
I’m gonna sneak into my house --

ALONA
And ROB it? What, are you fucking CRAZY?

GILL
It’s still MY house, Alona.
(beat)
Haven’t you heard of 'community property?'

EXT. LIEF’S CONDO - NIGHT
A police cruiser is parked on Speedway
in front of Lief’s building.

Danette and Kenny jump out of the car.
Draw their guns. Make their way
toward the side entrance.

KENNY
I thought it was a loud party.
I don’t hear anything.

DANETTE
Dead bodies kinda clears out the crowd.

They get to the front door.
See it’s ajar.

DANETTE (CONT’D)
Follow me slowly, keep me covered and --

KENNY
Be quiet. I know, I know.

DANETTE
And do me a favor.
Don’t shit your pants again, okay?

EXT. BEACHFRONT CONDO - OCEAN SIDE - AT THAT MOMENT
Lief stands in the shrubbery.
Watches Beggar hit the ground.

LIEF
Over here.

BEGGAR
(sees him, comes over)
My car is parked on Speedway.

LIEF
So we’ll walk.

BEGGAR
You don’t get it.
There’s a fucking KILO OF BLOW in my trunk.

LIEF
Oh, shit. That’s right.
(beat)
So what are you gonna do?

BEGGAR
I’m gonna very quietly go to my car
and get the fuck out of here.
The sirens stopped,
so the cops must be inside.
I gotta do it now before they find -- her.
(beat)
You with me?

LIEF
Are you fucking kidding me?
I’ll walk down to the pier and wait for you.

BEGGAR
Spoken like a true attorney.

IN THE HOUSE
Danette and Kenny slowly move
through the living room, guns drawn.
Kenny looks at the lux digs in awe.

KENNY
Nice crib.

DANETTE
Shhhh.
(looks around)
C’mon. Upstairs.

IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE
Beggar tip-toes up to his BMW convertible.

Looks around. Opens the door.
Carefully gets in. Quietly closes it.

ON THE ROOF
Danette and Kenny see Emaciated Starlet’s
dead body on the blood-soaked bed.
Empty bottles and glasses everywhere.

KENNY
Holy SHIT.

DANETTE
‘Party Out of Bounds.’

KENNY
Huh?

DANETTE
Skip it.
(pulls out her cell)
Dispatch, this is unit one-adam-thirteen --
we’ve gotta code twelve, up on the roof.
Send lab techs and the coroner, do you copy?
(listens)
Roger that.

A car engine STARTS UP down below.
They RACE over to the edge of the roof. Look down.

BEGGAR’S CAR
Starts to drive away.

ON THE ROOF
Danette shakes her head.
Speaks into her cell.

DANETTE (CONT’D)
I need you to put out an APB on a red,
late-model BMW convertible,
heading north on Speedway.
(listens)
Sorry. Didn’t get the license.
(listens)
Roger that.
(hangs up, to Kenny)
C’mon, let’s go check out Paris Hilton.

They walk over to the bed.
Look at the body.

KENNY
She looks kinda peaceful.
(beat)
I mean, you know -- despite all the blood.

DANETTE
(shakes her head)
Another young girl who’s potential
was snuffed out too early.

KENNY
Yeah.
(wistful)
Must have been SOME party --

No comments:

Post a Comment