Thursday, October 6, 2011

Shooting Blanks



Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 39 of WILSHIRE BOULEVARD, private eye Carrie Love arrives at the widow Gay Flender's joint to confront her as a murder suspect in the death of her husband. Meanwhile, homicide dicks Bernie Keko and Aya Meir get 'up close and personal.'


EXT. FLENDER MANSION - NIGHT
All is quiet on 24th street.

Jenny stands on the front porch.
RINGS the bell. The door opens.

IN THE BACK YARD
Carrie walks up
to the kitchen window.
Looks in.

CARRIE (V.O.)
Dead bodies were piling up
like mattresses on a Mexican pickup truck.
I was sucked into a vortex of murder --
and all roads led to me.
We heard on the radio
on the way over that
Martune had died.
Every cop in the city
would be looking for me.
I had to think of something,
and I had to think fast.

She walks around
to the side of the house.

Sees a big picture window
looking into the living room.
She eases herself over.

CARRIE (V.O.)
Problem was, my nerves were
frayed like a two-bit hooker’s split ends --
and I was shooting blanks.

THROUGH THE WINDOW
we see a tearful Jenny speaking to Gay.

Gay motions for Jenny to sit.
She does, on the couch,
near a roaring fire.

INT. FLENDER LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS
Gay sits next to Jenny, comforts her.

JENNY
I didn’t mean to hurt him,
and I didn’t mean to
break that sculpture.
I feel terrible about
the whole thing.
(beat)
He said --
horrible things to me,
and I -- lost my temper.

GAY
And he said you were fired?

JENNY
Yeah, but he’s done it before.
I’m not sure if it’s -- real.

MALE VOICE (O.C.)
Oh, it’s real.

MODI walks in.
Bruised and battered.
Holding an ice pack.

MODI
You broke a priceless
MING DYNASTY URN.
It was a gift from my FATHER.

JENNY
You hit me FIRST.
And called me a CUNT.

GAY
Let’s all calm down now.
I’m sure we can figure out
a solution to this --predicament.
(to Modi)
You realize the girl
can press charges, Modi.
That wasn’t very smart.

The doorbell RINGS.
Modi looks toward the foyer.

MODI
Now what?

Gay sips her drink.
Gets up.

GAY
Stay put, I’ll get it.

AT THE FRONT DOOR
Carrie stands with her
hands in her pockets. Waiting.

The door OPENS.
Gay sees Carrie.

GAY
Detective Love.
What a lovely surprise.
Here for your pound of flesh?

Carrie pulls out her GLOCK.
CLICKS the safety.

CARRIE
More like a ton.

INT. UNMARKED CAR - NIGHT
Bernie and Aya sit in their cruiser.
Both a little spooked.

BERNIE
I’m sorry I -- hit you.

AYA
I’m sorry I hit YOU.

BERNIE
It’s just macho bluster.
'Broad' is an affectionate term.
I LIKE women --

AYA
I get defensive.
My father raised me alone,
with four brothers.

BERNIE
Wow.
That must have been rough.

AYA
Yeah.

Pause.

BERNIE
I guess we should roll.

AYA
Yeah.

They stare at each other.
He leans over.

Kisses her. Wow.
Pulls back.

Aya’s eyes glitter
with emotion.

BERNIE
Holy shit.

AYA
Tell me about it.

1 comment:

  1. I love your voice overs... very "Chandleresque", I think is the word I'm looking for. Definitely all you, but it evokes that spirit.. style of his.

    Okay... about time! What... just a kiss? Come one, hun... you know they want to do it! Hehe!!

    xoxoxo <3 <3 <3

    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete