Friday, October 11, 2019

Uncoiling a Sidewinder


Hey there, crime kids. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 21 of Frankenstein In Love, CDC agent Beck Driver and local sheriff's deputy Chet Beverage prepare to grill Frankie Stein about the dead cheerleader he brought back to life ...


EXT. FRANKIE’S HOUSE - FRONT DOOR - DAY
Chet and Beck stand on the front stoop.
Chet RINGS the bell.

BECK
Nobody’s home.
Let’s come back later.

CHET
Hold on a sec.
Maybe she’s moving her bowels.

BECK
That’s disgusting.

CHET
Haven’t you ever been uncoiling
a sidewinder and the doorbell rang?

BECK
First of all, I’m a petite flower.
I don’t ‘uncoil side-winders.’

CHET
Well, excuse me, big-city gal.
I guess your shit doesn’t stink.

BECK
You got THAT right.

He RINGS the bell again.
Looks at her. Pained.

CHET
I’m sorry.
I’ve got a splitting headache.
(off her look)
This is my first murder --
(goes off someplace, then)
She was a cheerleader.

BECK
Can you keep a secret?
(off his nod)
It’s mine, too.
(off his look)
I’m a scientist, not a cop.

CHET
Oh. I thought you were some
kind of government agent.

BECK
I like people to think that.
Easier to get what I want.
Nobody ever said, ‘run,
the scientists are coming.’
(beat)
I’ve got some Advil.
You want a couple?

CHET
Yeah, thanks.

Beck digs around in her purse.
Pulls out a blister pack of two pills.
Hands it to him.

BECK
Whattaya say we get some coffee
and come back later. My treat.

CHET
That would -- be nice.

They start walking to the car.
Chet opens the pack.

CHET
(swallows them)
You’re not such a tough nut after all.

BECK
Tell anyone, and I’ll fucking kill you.

No comments:

Post a Comment