Friday, September 21, 2012

Saved By The Bell


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 22 of HIT & RUN HOLIDAY, Pulitzer Price winner Dann Isreal appears on Fox News to discuss being attacked by fugitive screenwriter Friday Foster at the think tank. Meanwhile, Friday returns to her bungalow at the Chateau Marmont with Dolly, her 'catch of the day' ...


INT. NEWS STUDIO - NIGHT
BOB O’HENRY (50’s). Hawk-like.
Eyes blazing. Mouth an arrogant sneer.
Stares into the CAMERA. Scowling.

Sitting next to Bob is
Friday’s old friend DANN ISRAEL.

BOB
Our next guest is Dann Israel,
of the Lambert Institute.
A think tank.

DANN
(deer in kleig lights)
Hello, Bob. Nice to be here.
Thank you for having me.

BOB
The pleasure is all mind, Dann.
This is the first time we’ve had
a Pulitzer Prize winner on the show.

DANN
Well, it’s the first time
I’ve been on television,
so I guess we’re even,
heh, heh, heh --

BOB
So let’s get down to it, Dann.
How in the HECK did you let a
WOMAN overpower you?

DANN
I -- don’t understand.
I’m here to talk about
emerging global markets.

BOB
We’ll get to that.
But first, what America REALLY
wants to know is WHY Friday Foster
went on this rampage?
Can you shed some light on it?

PUSH IN ON Dann. Peeved.

DANN
I’m afraid you’ll have to ask her.

INT. BUNGALOW 5 - NIGHT
The door opens.
In comes Friday and her
catch of the day, DOLLY.
Both completely, utterly trashed.
Giggly.

DOLLY
This is nice.
Can I move in with you?

FRIDAY
One tryst at a time, luv.
This is a U-Haul-free zone.

They kiss. Friday pulls away.
Takes Dolly’s gloved hand.

FRIDAY
Come with me.

She leads her to the bed.
Dolly follows. Obedient.

FRIDAY
Sit. Make yourself comfortable.
(picks up the phone, dials)
Champagne?

DOLLY
(nods, eyes wide)
Can we get -- something to eat?

FRIDAY
A bedtime snack. GREAT idea.
Not that you’re not a bedtime snack --
(listens)
Yes, hello. Uh, hold on --
(beat)
What would you like?
Tuna tartar? Caviar?
Their pate is to die for.

DOLLY
(small voice)
Can I get a cheeseburger?

FRIDAY
You are adorable. GREAT idea.
Pre-hangover measures. What a pro.
(into the phone)
Yes, hi -- sorry, big decision time.
Could you please send up
a bottle of Cristal? AND,
two cheeseburgers --
medium rare, and --
(looks at Dolly, off her nod)
Both, medium rare. Please.
(beat)
You bet. Thanks.

She hangs up.
Goes to the bed. Sits.
Strokes Dolly’s hair.

FRIDAY
You have such beautiful hair.
Do you mind if I take it down?

DOLLY
No, Ma’am.

FRIDAY
(starts untying ponytails)
Silly girl, call me Friday.
I’m not a real dom,
I just play one on TV.
That’s just fun and games.

DOLLY
Okay -- Friday.

FRIDAY
Tonight isn’t a game, love.
You’re an angel -- and I’m honored
to share some heaven with you.
(quietly)
You’re my last supper.

She leans in.
Kisses Dolly softly on the lips.
Pulls back.

FRIDAY
So what do you do?
Are you in fashion, an artist --

DOLLY
I’m -- a student.

FRIDAY
Oh, what college?
Getting a graduate degree?

Pause.
DOLLY
I’m a sophomore at Hollywood High.

FRIDAY
How old ARE you?

DOLLY
Fifteen.
Please don’t be mad at me.

FRIDAY
Fifteen? You’re FIFTEEN?
How did you get in the club?

DOLLY
My daddy owns it.

A KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCK at the door.

HISPANIC MALE VOICE (O.C.)
Room service.

FRIDAY
Saved by the bell.
(to the door)
Come in. It’s open.

DOLLY
Are you mad at me?

The HISPANIC WAITER
wheels in their repast. Smiles.

HISPANIC PORTER
Where would you like it?

FRIDAY
(looks at Dolly)
That’s a loaded question --
(to the porter)
Out on the terrace, please.

HISPANIC PORTER
Sure thing, Miss.

He eyes Dolly.
Pushes the cart out
through the patio doors.

DOLLY
You’re mad at me.
I can tell.

FRIDAY
I’m not mad at you.
(leans in, kisses her)
See?
(of Dolly’s nod)
C’mon. Let’s eat --

No comments:

Post a Comment