Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Natives Are Restless



Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 19 of BLUE HOTEL, boozy screenwriter Holly Land brings Feo, the dead agent's assistant back to her room at gunpoint, only to have hipster hooker Alona Tal join them. Meanwhile, Venice Beach cop Danette Day gets the call about the drug overdose at the party Alona's boyfriend Begger Leck just escaped from ...


INT. HOLLY’S SHITTY HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT
Feo stumbles into the room, scared to death.
Holly follows him in.

Pointing the gun at him through her purse.
She closes the door. Pulls it out.
Waves it at him.

HOLLY
Sit, on the bed.

FEO
(sits)
Look, I’m sorry you -- got in trouble.
If you let me go, I promise I won’t
tell the cops anything.

HOLLY
Yeah, right.

FEO
I promise.
(beat)
Please don’t shoot me --

HOLLY
Shut up. I have to think.

FEO
I have an idea --

HOLLY
I said SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Feo gulps. Stares at her balefully.
Holly goes to the kitchenette,
keeping the gun on him.

Pours a glass of vodka.
Takes a big glug. Wipes her mouth.
Looks at him.

HOLLY (CONT’D)
Stupid jerk and your stupid script.
(beat)
Why couldn’t you just mind your own business?
(off his silence)
Hello? I asked you a QUESTION.

FEO
(low)
You told me to shut up.

HOLLY
Not NOW.

FEO
I have to get this script to him,
it’s a matter of life and death --
Scarlet Stone is reading it tonight, and --
(beat)
Wait a minute.
Why don’t I give you the script,
you can give it to him,
and I’ll just -- go away.
I won’t say ANYTHING to the cops, I promise.
Please, this is gonna cost me my job --

HOLLY
(takes another sip)
That’s -- not possible.

FEO
Not possible? What do you mean?

HOLLY
(softly)
Oscar’s dead.

FEO
What? You robbed the liquor store
AND killed my boss?

Holly drains the glass. Pours another.
Takes a sip. Weaves a little.

Walks over to him.
Shaking the gun back and forth.

HOLLY
I didn’t ROB the fucking liquor store,
I just had the bad luck to BE there
when those chollo GREASEBALLS did.

FEO
But I saw you, on the tape, with the gun.

HOLLY
Shut the fuck up and LISTEN TO ME.
It was self-defense.
The Rasta shot the first gang-banger,
and his gun flew away and
landed on the floor next to me --
and then I shot the second one as he came in.
(hiccups)
It was self-defense.

Pause.

FEO
And -- what happened to Oscar?

HOLLY
(eyes tear up)
I thought he was attacking Alona --
I was just trying to save her -- and I --
(beat)
Stabbed him in the back with a pair of scissors.

She breaks down. Starts crying.

FEO
Hey, it’s okay --

He gets up. Starts to come to her.

HOLLY
DON’T MOVE.
(aims the gun at him)
Stay right the fuck WHERE YOU ARE.

A soft KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCK at the door.

ALONA (O.C.)
Holly? It’s me, Alona.
Who’s in there with you?
Are you okay?

Holly smiles strangely.
Goes to the door. Opens it.

HOLLY
Come on in and join the party.

Alona walks in, sees Feo. Stops.

ALONA
Who’s he?

HOLLY
Oscar’s assistant.

FEO
(to Holly)
Who’s she?

HOLLY
Oscar’s date.

ALONA
Holy shit.

HOLLY
Tell me about it.

EXT. VENICE BEACH POLICE SUBSTATION - NIGHT
A circular brick building off the boardwalk.
A kid’s play park on one side.
Basketball courts on the other.

INT. VENICE BEACH POLICE SUBSTATION - CONTINUOUS
A tiny, small, cluttered room
filled with the usual suspects.
A couple desks, filing cabinets, lockers.

A gorgeous, black female UNIFORMED COP (40’s)
shuffles through a book of mug shots.

Meet DANETTE DAY, cougar in blue. Tough.
World-weary. Has seen it all. Several times.

A YOUNG ROOKIE COP (20’s)
appears with two mugs of coffee.

Meet KENNY SPEED.
Tall and gangly. Moon-faced.
Fresh out of the academy. Strong. Eager.
And not terribly bright.

KENNY
(hands her one)
Here’s your coffee, Danette.

DANETTE
Thanks, Kenny.

KENNY
Sure is a hot one tonight, huh?

DANETTE
Tell me about it.
The natives are restless.
When the Santa Annas are blowing,
things get crazy.
First that liquor store holdup.
Something else is gonna happen.
I can feel it in my bones.

KENNY
I say bring it on.
I want some ACTION.

The phone RINGS.
Danette answers it.
Listens. Eyes FLASH.

DANETTE
Ten-seventy-eight.
Drug overdose at a wild rooftop party.
Fifty two-eighteen Speedway.
We’re on our way. Code three.

She BANGS down the phone. Gets up.

DANETTE (CONT’D)
You got your wish.
Ready to rock and roll?

KENNY
Fuck, yeah. A DRUG OVERDOSE.
(beat)
Code three.
That means -- lights and siren?

PUSH IN ON Danette’s face.
Nodding with amusement.

DANETTE
And if you’re really good,
we’ll get ice cream afterwards --

No comments:

Post a Comment