Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bad Lieutenant


Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 34 of BLUE HOTEL, Beggar returns to Alona's hotel room and tells her about killing Kenny the young cop, and that he got the ecstasy from his trunk so that he, Alona and Holly can get high before they start cutting up the dead bodies hidden under the bed. Meanwhile, police officers Bernie and Danette enjoy a post-coital moment, and then realize Kenny is missing ...


INT. ALONA’S SHITTY HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT
Alona and Holly sit on the couch, sharing a joint.

Holly looks lost, scared.
Like she’s about to cry.

HOLLY
I think there’s something --
wrong with me, Alona.

ALONA
Don’t be silly.

She puts her hand on Holly’s bare knee.
Rubs it gently.

Holly looks, shy. Likes it.
Cheeks turn red.

HOLLY
I did a -- bad thing, Alona.
A really bad thing.

ALONA
That was an honest mistake, honey.
You thought I was in danger --

HOLLY
No, not that. Back at school --

Alona leans closer. As if to kiss her.

ALONA
Shhhhh --

The door OPENS. In walks Beggar. Freaked out.

ALONA (CONT'D)
(looks)
What’s wrong, baby?

BEGGAR
We’re fucked. I’M fucked.

ALONA
What happened?

BEGGAR
This cop came up to me
while I was opening the trunk --
and he got suspicious of what
I was doing, and I -- I --
(beat)
Killed him.

ALONA
WHAT?

HOLLY
(strange smile)
Did you like it?

BEGGAR
What? NO, of COURSE not.
I didn’t mean to kill him.
I was -- trying to stop him
from finding the E --

ALONA
But you got it okay?

BEGGAR
(pulls out the envelope)
Yeah, yeah, I got it.

ALONA
Thank god.
(realizes)
What did you do with the body?

BEGGAR
He’s -- in the trunk.

ALONA
Holy shit.

BEGGAR
Yeah. Tell me about it.
(beat)
A fucking COP.
(to Holly)
And what the fuck is up with you?
'Did I like it?'

Holly stares at Beggar.
Blank look on her face.

ALONA
Beggar, chill. Holly’s in shock.
It’s been a rough night for all of us.
We’ll deal with Bad Lieutenant later.
First we have to dispose of
our friends under the bed.
It’s going to be light in a couple of hours,
and we gotta jam before they
start stinking the place up -- got it?

BEGGAR
Yeah.

ALONA
So let’s do our drugs and get to work.

Beggar pulls out the envelope. Opens it.
Dumps a small mound on the mirror.
Starts chopping it up.

HOLLY
(eyes grow wide)
I’ve never done ecstacy --

BEGGAR
A virgin?
(beat)
We’ll have to see about THAT.

HOLLY
Promise me you’ll be -- rough?

INT. DANETTE AND BERNIE’S SHITTY HOTEL ROOM - AT THAT MOMENT
Danette lies on the bed, smoking.
Bernie sits near the window,
looking out at the ocean.
Sips from a flask.

BERNIE
Damn, woman.

DANETTE
I know.

BERNIE
Damn.

DANETTE
I know.
(beat)
Damn.

BERNIE
Maybe we could give it another --

DANETTE
No. We’ve done that. Twice.

BERNIE
Yeah.

Pause.

DANETTE
So what’s going on out there?

BERNIE
(looks out the window)
Body’s been taken away.
Techs are almost done.
(beat)
I thought you said the kid
was gonna be out in front.

DANETTE
(sits up)
He’s supposed to be.

BERNIE
He’s not now.

DANETTE
Maybe he went to go take a leak.

BERNIE
Call him. With all the shit
that’s been going down tonight,
you never know.

DANETTE
(reaches for her phone)
Thanks for scaring me --

No comments:

Post a Comment