Wednesday, June 29, 2016

This Too Shall Pass


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Hump Day. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 3 of THE INVISIBLE GIRL, Bettie confides in her science professor father Bernard about being cyber-bullied by the popular kids at school, to which he gives her valuable advice ...


INT. BETTIE’S HOUSE - KITCHEN - MORNING
Quaint. Homey. Stuffed with
every cooking utensil imaginable.

Standing over the stove cooking is
BERNARD BEE (50’s), Bettie’s father.

Quintessential absent-minded professor.
Shock of white hair.
Kindly eyes. A bit plump.

Right now he’s softly whistling.
He tastes the sauce in the pot
with a wooden spoon.

BERNARD
Mmm. Eat my shorts, Rachel Ray.

Bettie trudges into the kitchen sadly.
Sits at the table. Sighs.
Bernard turns around. Sees her.

BERNARD
There’s my princess. Good MORNING.
(beat)
Why so glum?

Pause.

BETTIE
I’m being -- cyber-bullied.

BERNARD
Cyber-bullied?

BETTIE
I’m being bullied -- online.

BERNARD
I don’t understand.
How can someone bully you
on the interwebs?

BETTIE
Someone shot a video of me
eating ice cream last night
and POSTED it on Friendbook.
Then everybody made COMMENTS
on it and MADE FUN OF ME.

She drops her head.
Sniffles back tears.

BERNARD
Oh, dear.

He comes over. Sits down.
Looks at her with love in his eyes.

Softly touches her chin.
She looks up at him sadly.

BERNARD
Darling, they’re just kids.
Ignore them. Turn the other cheek.
I know it might not seem
like it now, but this too shall pass.
Believe it or not, there IS
life after high school.

BETTIE
I know --

BERNARD
Many of the greatest minds
on the planet weren’t
understood in their youth --
(beat)
I was beaten up
every day after school,
and look how I turned out.

He spreads his arms.
His bathrobe falls open.

We see he’s wearing
hot pink boxer shorts.

BETTIE
(giggles, embarrassed)
Dad.

Bernard looks down. Horrified.
Ties his robe closed.

BERNARD
Your mother got me those --
(beat)
I know what you need --
some breakfast.
Just WAIT until you
taste my pasta sauce.

BETTIE
But, Dad.
Nobody eats pasta for BREAKFAST.

BERNARD
Well, darling -- we’re not
just anybody, are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment