Thursday, June 9, 2016

Bitch Slap


Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 23 of RIDGEWAY, Kayla confronts Vivi about cutting her work hours, which soon erupts into a big fight ...


INT. DREAMLAND - DAY
Shitty Knickleback-like rock music
way too loud on the sound system.

The joint is deserted,
except for Vivi and Kayla.

KAYLA
Now that Cate’s living with me,
all my utilities went up.
I just can’t make it
on twenty-eight hours.

VIVI
I told you, we can’t
afford it right now.
Can’t Cate chip in?

Cate walks in. Hears them.
Hides behind a rack of fur coats.

KAYLA
She was, until her old landlord
put a lien on her bank account.
Now she’s broke.

VIVI
Why doesn’t she just sell
one of her screenplays?

KAYLA
It’s not that simple.
She spends several hours every morning
trying to sell her stuff and
looking for writing jobs.
It's hard work.

VIVI
Maybe she should get a real job.

KAYLA
You know there’s no jobs here
for someone with her experience.

VIVI
Maybe you shoulda thought of that
before you let her move in with you.

KAYLA
That’s none of your business.

VIVI
Excuse me?
KAYLA
You’re not my boss, Vivi.
Sula owns the store, not you,
so I suggest you back the fuck off
before I do something I might regret.

VIVI
Like what, hit me?
Just because that fat slug
slapped you around doesn’t mean --

KAYLA
Shut up.

VIVI
Been on the receiving end so long
you think you can dish it out?
Go ahead, hit me. I dare you.
(beat)
You don’t have the guts.
You’re weak. Pathetic.

Kayla’s bravado starts to crumble.
Her eyes well up.

VIVI
Oh, look. She’s gonna cry --

Tears start running down her cheeks.
She gasps, runs into the back room.

Cate goes to the door, locks it --
then makes a beeline
toward Vivi at the counter --The

No comments:

Post a Comment