Monday, June 13, 2016

Redneck Charm


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Monday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 24 of RIDGEWAY, Cate rushes to Kayla's defense after Vivi threatens her and reduces her to tears ... and gives her the mother of all put-downs ...


INT. DREAMLAND - DAY
Vivi glares at Kayal.
Tears start running down her cheeks.

She gasps, runs into the back room.
Cate goes to the door, locks it --
then makes a beeline toward Vivi
at the counter.


CATE
Ah, there she is.
The big, fat pig.
I’m surprised your ugly mug
don’t scare the customers away.
(sniffs)
I mean, the smell alone --

VIVI
What did you just call me?

CATE
A big. Fat. Pig.
(makes SNORTING noises)
But then, you’re a razorback, right?

VIVI
(raises a hand to hit her)
How DARE you --

Cate WHACKS it away.
SLAPS her face.
GRABS her collar.

CATE
Shut the fuck up and listen
to me, you fucking cunt.
I’ve had enough of
your fucking with Kayla.
She comes home every night
in tears because of your
steaming sack of shit.

VIVI
(tries to get free)
LET GO OF ME.
(beat)
The customers will see us.

CATE
One step ahead of you, chubbo.
I locked the fucking door.

VIVI
What do you WANT?

CATE
I want you to STOP FUCKING WITH KAYLA.

VIVI
Fuck you.

CATE
I know all about how you
worked your way into Sula’s graces,
doing her errands for her,
buying her fucking boxes of wine --
my god, boxes of wine, could
you people be any more of a cliche?

VIVI
How dare you --

CATE
How dare YOU.
Ordering Kayla around
like you’re her boss.
You were a fucking
SCHOOL CAFETERIA LUNCH LADY.
Kayla’s got TWENTY YEARS
RETAIL EXPERIENCE.
It’s like Sarah Palin telling
Steven Hawking what to do.
Fucking ridiculous.

Vivi stares in disbelief.
Her bottom lip quivers.

CATE
Nobody’s ever called your bluff, huh?
(softly)
When I first met you, I thought
you had a certain kinda
back woods, redneck charm --
but now I see you for
what you really are.
A bloated, scared, angry bully.
(getting warmed up)
I know all about your sexting husband,
your unmarried pregnant daughter
and her waste of human flesh boyfriend.
Quite a life you got there.
(nasty)
Oh. But it’s okay.
Jesus will save you.

VIVI
What -- do you want?

CATE
I already told you,
you fat fucking cow.
Kayla the fuck ALONE.
And if you try to get her fired,
your fat ass is grass.
I just got a job
working for Big Boy,
and one word from me --
(off her look)
Be kinda hard to get around
with fucked-up kneecaps.

VIVI
How dare you threaten me.
I’m gonna call the cops.

CATE
Yeah, right.
I’m sure Londell would love that.
He’s heard all about your shit
and would love to see you
twist in the wind
like crusty flypaper.
(off her silence)
Well, I’m glad we got that sorted out.
I’ll get out of your hair
and let you get back to
selling overpriced trinkets.
(beat)
Like your shirt. Cute.
Does it come in something
smaller than a tent?

No comments:

Post a Comment