Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Usual Suspects


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Hump Day. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 18 of BLUE HOTEL, we meet Venice Beach police officers Dannette Day and her rookie partner Kenny Speed, who eagerly respond to a call about the drug overdose at entertainment attorney Lief Scott's wild rooftop party. Meanwhile, private school teacher Gill Sherry calls hooker Alona Tal and give her the bad news about him being mugged and carjacked ...


EXT. VENICE BEACH POLICE SUBSTATION - NIGHT
A circular brick building off the boardwalk.

A kid’s play park on one side.
Basketball courts on the other.

INT. VENICE BEACH POLICE SUBSTATION - CONTINUOUS
A tiny, small, cluttered room
filled with the usual suspects.
A couple desks, filing cabinets, lockers.

A gorgeous, black female UNIFORMED COP (40’s)
shuffles through a book of mug shots.

Meet DANETTE DAY, cougar in blue.
Tough. World-weary. Has seen it all.

Several times.

A YOUNG ROOKIE COP (20’s)
appears with two mugs of coffee.

Meet KENNY SPEED.
Tall and gangly. Moon-faced.

Fresh out of the academy.
Strong. Eager.

And not terribly bright.

KENNY
(hands her one)
Here’s your coffee, Danette.

DANETTE
Thanks, Kenny.

KENNY
Sure is a hot one tonight, huh?

DANETTE
Tell me about it.
The natives are restless.
When the Santa Annas
are blowing, things get crazy.
First that liquor store holdup.
Something else is gonna happen.
I can feel it in my bones.

KENNY
I say bring it on.
I want some ACTION.

The phone RINGS.
Danette answers it.
Listens. Eyes FLASH.

DANETTE
Ten-seventy-eight.
Drug overdose at a wild rooftop party.
Fifty two-eighteen Speedway.
We’re on our way. Code three.

She BANGS down the phone.
Gets up.

DANETTE
You got your wish.
Ready to rock and roll?

KENNY
Fuck, yeah.
A DRUG OVERDOSE.
(beat)
Code three.
That means -- lights and siren?

PUSH IN ON Danette’s face.
Nodding with amusement.

DANETTE
And if you’re really good,
we’ll get ice cream afterwards.

EXT. VENICE BEACH POLICE SUBSTATION - NIGHT
Gill walks up to the door.
Hesitates. Turns around.

GILL
What was I thinking?

He walks over to a bench.
Sits down.

Pulls out his cell phone.
Punches a number. Listens.

INTERCUT WITH:

INT. HOLLY’S SHITTY HOTEL ROOM - CONTINUOUS
Alona stares at Holly.
Then at Feo.

ALONA
What the fuck are we gonna do NOW?

Her phone RINGS.
She pulls it out of her pocket.
Answers it.

ALONA
Hello?

GILL
Alona, it’s me, Gill.

ALONA
Where are you?
What’s taking so long?

GILL
I got mugged, AND carjacked.
They got my wallet AND my car.

ALONA
SHIT.
Are you okay?

GILL
I’m fine.
Sort of.
(beat)
Finally stopped shaking --

ALONA
So are you coming back
to the hotel?

GILL
Not yet.
I have an idea.
(looks around)
I’m gonna sneak into my house --

ALONA
And ROB it?
What, are you fucking CRAZY?

GILL
It’s still MY house, Alona.
(beat)
Haven’t you heard of
community property?

EXT. LIEF’S CONDO - NIGHT
A police cruiser is parked on Speedway
in front of Lief’s building.

Danette and Kenny jump out of the car.
Draw their guns.

Make their way toward
the side entrance.

KENNY
I thought it was a loud party.
I don’t hear anything.

DANETTE
Dead bodies kinda
clears out the crowd.

They get to the front door.
See it’s ajar.

DANETTE
Follow me slowly,
keep me covered and --

KENNY
Be quiet.
I know, I know.

DANETTE
And do me a favor.
Don’t shit your pants again, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment