Monday, April 10, 2017

Safe House


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Monday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 19 of ZOMBIE & JULIET, after being infected with the HIZ 'zombie virus,' conservative Jool is quarantined at home, where she fights with her uncle about her forbidden love of the liberal Rommy ...


INT. CARLING’S MANSION - JOOL’S BEDROOM - DAY
Jool lies in bed with an IV drip
surrounded by a quarantine tent.

A series of monitors and equipment
monitor her condition.

Carling and Nin
stand nearby, distraught.

A distinguished-looking
DOCTOR IN WHITE (60’s)
checks her vitals on a clipboard.

Then checks under the bandage
on her face. Nods. Makes some notes.

JOOL
Why do I have to stay in bed?
I don’t feel THAT bad --

CARLING
It’s for your own good, my darling.

JOOL
And what’s up with the quarantine?
I’m not contagious. You can’t
get the virus by touching me --

DOCTOR IN WHITE
I’m sorry, young lady --
but we need to take
every precaution necessary.
(to Carling)
Her vitals have stabilized.
But she needs to stay
in bed and rest.

CARLING
Isn’t there anything else
you can do?

DOCTOR IN WHITE
I’m sorry, I’m afraid not.
All we can do is make her
as comfortable as possible.

CARLING
But that can’t BE.
Don’t you have any experimental
drugs you can give her?

DOCTOR IN WHITE
No. Not since the government
stopped funding research --
(sighs)
God bless us all.

NIN
Well, I don’t care
what any of you say,
I’m going to stay here
and keep her company.
We can’t just leave her alone.

CARLING
I’m not sure that’s a good
idea, Nin. She’s VERY sick.

JOOL
Stop talking to her
like I’m NOT HERE.

CARLING
I’m only doing this
because I love you, Jool.
You’re my only niece.
And we need to make sure
the virus is -- contained.

JOOL
What part of ‘it’s not contagious’
don’t you GET? It’s only
transmitted through THE BLOOD.

DOCTOR IN WHITE
Well, the jury’s
not out on that yet --

Jool eyes fill with rage.

JOOL
At least there’s ONE good thing
about me getting infected.

CARLING
What on earth do you MEAN?

JOOL
Now I don’t have to marry
that fucking pretty boy LAME-ASS.

NIN
Jool --

CARLING
What have I TOLD you
about using the F-word?

JOOL
FUCK you.
Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK.
(hisses)
You DISGUST me.
I HATE you.
You’re not my FATHER.
He was KIND.
You’re a MONSTER.

Nin nods at Carling. Go.
I’ll take care of this.

He turns ashen-faced. Nods.
Turns and walks out.
The doctor follows.

NIN
Don’t you think you were
a little harsh on your uncle?

JOOL
I wasn’t harsh ENOUGH.

NIN
What were you doing in Time Square?

JOOL
I was meeting Rommy. We were --
(beat)
Going run away together.

NIN
So what happened?

JOOL
I -- don’t know.
He wasn’t there.
He must of -- gotten infected.
(beat)
And now he’s GONE --

No comments:

Post a Comment