Monday, September 12, 2016

Takin' Care Of Business


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Monday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 5 of AFTERHOURS, bad cop on the run Danny Peel holds the celebrities hostage at gun point, but then surprises them by buying them a round of drinks and chatting them up like old friends ...


INT. AFTER HOURS CLUB - EARLY MORNING
Sky, Easy, Angel and Mickey
move to the bar. Take stools.

DANNY
Okay, everybody.
We’re gonna be here
a little while,
so I want you to get
nice and comfortable.
Do exactly what I say
and nobody gets hurt.
(off their terrified looks)
Just because I’m holding a gun
and covered in blood
doesn’t mean I’m not a nice guy --
so, in the interest of
all of us getting along,
the next round’s on me.
(to Vin)
Vin?

VIN
Yeah?

DANNY
Can I get some of that cash?

VIN
Yeah. Sure.

He goes to the duffle,
zips it open.

Grabs a banded wad of cash.
TOSSES it to Danny.

DANNY
Which one of you is the bartender?

MIA
I am.

DANNY
(SLAPS it down on the bar)
What’s the most expensive
scotch you got?

MIA
M-Mcallan’s.

DANNY
I wanna buy a round for the house.

Mia goes behind the bar
to get a bottle and some glasses.

DANNY
(to Sky)
Hey. You’re that movie star.
You’re in all those independent films.

SKY
Guilty as charged.
(weak smile)
With the occasional studio tentpole.

DANNY
Hey. Gotta pay the bills, right?
(nods)
I used to wannabe an actor,
but I really like eating.
(looks around)
Whoah, Nelly.
This is celeb-city.
(to Easy)
Easy Washington. My man.
Was really sorry to
hear about your injury.

EASY
Not as much as I was.

Mia gives Danny his glass.
He takes a sip.

DANNY
Holy shit is that smooth.
(eyes Bettie)
And what do have we here?
Bettie Black. Big fan.
Lost my virginity
to your first album.

BETTIE
Really?

DANNY
Nah. Just fuckin’ with you.
I’m more of a classic rock
kinda guy.
(sings)
Takin’ care of business --
(sips, looks at Casey)
And who is this lovely creature?

Danny and Casey lock eyes.
She blushes.

CASEY
Nobody.
(beat)
I’m a writer.

BETTIE
Shut up.
(to Danny)
She won the Oscar, hello?

DANNY
Oh, yeah.
The media gave you shit
about your tattoos.

CASEY
My agent wanted me to wear
a long-sleeved dress,
but I said ‘fuck that.’

DANNY
Rebel outlaw girl --

No comments:

Post a Comment