Thursday, May 26, 2016

Breaking Bad


Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 13 of RIDGEWAY, Kayla comes home in tears and tells Cate that her new 'boss' Vivi cut her work hours, and now won't be able to pay the bills. Later that night, as they watch a crime show on TV, Cate gets an idea about how to make some money ...


INT. KAYLA’S APARTMENT - KITCHEN - DUSK
Cate stands at the stove, cooking.
Kayla walks in, exhausted.

CATE
Honey, I’m home.
(off her look)
What’s wrong?

Kayla sets down her bag.
Pulls out her smokes.
Lights one.

KAYLA
Vivi cut my hours.``

CATE
What the fuck? Why?

KAYLA
Said business was bad, said she
had to cut back everybody’s hours.

CATE
That’s really fucked up.

KAYLA
Next week I only work
twenty-eight hours.
I don’t know how I’m
gonna make the rent,
and I’m late with the
electric and the water --
and now she won’t
pay the internet bill.
(eyes fill with tears)
I don’t know what we’re gonna do.

CATE
Oh, baby --

She takes Kayla in her arms.
Kayla starts silently sobbing.

CATE
Don’t worry.
We’ll figure it out.

INT. KAYLA’S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM - NIGHT
Kayla and Cate sit on
the couch watching TV,
eyes glued to the screen,
high as a pair of kites,
a cat on either side
of them like bookends.
Bobby dozes at their feet.

Kayla sips her cocktail.
Loads the bong.

Does a hit.
Holds it in.

Cate downs a shot of whiskey.
Sips her beer.

Kayla exhales.
Passes it to Cate.
She takes a big hit.

ON THE FLAT SCREEN
We see they’re
watching BREAKING BAD.

WALTER WHITE glowers
at his wife SKYLER,
who looks terrified.

WALTER WHITE
(electronic)
You clearly don't know
who you're talking to,
so let me clue you in.
I’m not IN danger, Skyler.
I’M the danger.

CATE
Nudges Kayla.

CATE
Maybe I should start
living a life of crime
like Walter White.
Make some real money.

KAYLA
(eyes on the screen)
You could ask Big Boy
for a job --

Cate looks at her.
Then back at the TV.
Wheels turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment