Friday, May 27, 2016

Breakfast Of Champions


Hey there, crime kids. Happy Friday. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where your most violent fantasies become sins of the flesh, right here, where the hardboiled action is non-stop, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 14 of RIDGEWAY, the hits keep coming when Cate freaks out when she discovers that her former landlord who evicted her from her home has drained her bank account ...


INT. KAYLA’S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM - MORNING
Cate sits at her laptop
with a cup of coffee and a smoke.

The morning ritual of champions.

OUTSIDE THE WINDOW
A deer eats leaves off a
tree in the front yard.

ON THE SCREEN
Is a bank website.

The mouse CLICKS
on YOUR BALANCE.

The screen changes,
then reads 000.00.

CATE (O.C.)
What the fuck?

She GRABS her cell phone.
Starts furiously placing a call.

IN THE KITCHEN
Kayla sits at her computer.
Cate comes racing in.

CATE
My fucking landlord cleaned me out.

KAYLA
What?

CATE
I just checked my bank balance
and it was zero.
I called the bank and found out
he put a lien on my account
and took all my money.
Almost a thousand bucks.
All the money I had in the world.
What the fuck am I gonna DO?

KAYLA
Oh, baby.
I’m so sorry.

She gets up.
Puts her arms around her.

CATE
My phone bill is overdue,
my car insurance
is gonna get cancelled --
and how am I gonna
buy fucking SMOKES?

KAYLA
It’s gonna be okay.

CATE
But I told you,
I don’t wanna be a burden.
I wanna be self-sufficient.
And now that your hours
have been cut --

KAYLA
You’re not a burden.
You’ll find a way
to make some money.
I know you.
You’re a survivor.
We’ll get through this.

CATE
I know, I know.
(beat)
I just thought I’d
escaped this bullshit --

No comments:

Post a Comment