Thursday, August 13, 2015

Party Out Of Bounds


Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 18 of AFTERHOURS, Danny and his celebrity hostages chill out and get high with help of drug dealer Harry Dill ... until a cop knocks on the door ...


INT. THE EXIT ROOM - EARLY MORNING
The lush world beat of Thievery Corporation
gently pulses through hidden speakers over --

Everybody sitting on the banquette getting high.
Danny’s at one end with his shotgun on his lap.

Bettie stands in the middle of the room
doing an interpretive dance.

DANNY
(laughs)
I thought I said ‘no dancing.’

BETTIE
I’m not dancing.

DANNY
No shit.

DANNY
(looks at Mia)
So what’s your story?
You an actress-slash-model?

MIA
I guess so.

DANNY
You guess so?
Then why look so sad?
You’re pursuing your dream.
(off her look)
There’s no need to be afraid of me.
I’m not gonna hurt you.

MIA
Right before you -- came,
I got a call from my sister.
My mother had a stroke and
she was being rushed to the hospital.
And I don’t know if she’s okay.

DANNY
Oh, wow. Shit. I’m sorry.

MIA
Can I use your cell phone to call the hospital?

The buzzer RINGS.

FEMALE COP (O.C.)
Open up, it’s the police.

DANNY
(to Mia)
Go answer it.
Shut off the lights
and pretend you’re closing up.
If you can get rid of her,
I’ll let you call your mom, okay?
(to the rest)
Everybody else get behind the bar.

They quickly tip-toe toward the back.
Danny takes position next to the door.

Mia goes to a panel on the wall,
shuts off the lights. Opens the door.

A tough-looking FEMALE UNIFORMED OFFICER
(30’s) appears.

MIA
Hello, officer. I was just closing up.
Can I help you?

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
You’re just closing now?
What kinda place is this?

MIA
After-hours club.
(smiles)
Very exclusive.

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
(sniffs)
I smell marijuana.

MIA
Yeah, I know.
It’s against the rules.
But who’s gonna argue with Easy Washington?

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
Easy Washingon was here? Tonight? Shit.

MIA
Yeah. We had quite the crowd tonight --
Bettie Black, Sky Masters, Casey Montana --

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
Who’s Casey Montana?

MIA
She wrote Wilshire Bouleward?

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
Oh, wow. I loved that movie.
(peers in)
So they’re all gone?

MIA
Yep. Were you looking for somebody?

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
Yeah. Had a home invasion up in the hills.
Cop got killed.

MIA
Oh, no. That’s terrible.

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
Tell me about it.
Got everybody they can on it.
Got me outta bed.

MIA
Wow. That sucks.
(off his look)
Do you mind if I get going?
I’ve got a sick mother at home that needs me.

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
(keeps peering inside)
Yeah, sure.
(sees something)
Wait a minute. Is that blood?

She pulls out her flashlight.
Shines it into the room.

Sees the pool of blood
where Easy’s arm got blown off.

MIA
Oh, they got into a little scuffle.
Cleaning crew will take care of it later.

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
That’s a hell of a lotta blood, miss.
I’m gonna have to go in and take a look.

MIA
You sure? It was just a little fight --

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
Step aside please, Miss.

Mia shrugs. Moves. Tough-Looking walks in.

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
Could you turn the lights on please?

She goes to the panel.
FLICKS them on.

Tough-Looking walks in.
Looks at the blood.

Then at the banquet area and table
where everybody was partying.
Sees the booze, the pot.

TOUGH-LOOKING FEMALE COP
That was some party.
(turns to her)
You just left all that stuff lying around?
Why didn’t you clean it up?

A shotgun appears next to her head.

DANNY (O.C.)
Because the party’s just getting started --

Reveal Danny. Holding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment