Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Leaving Las Vegas


Happy Tuesday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 27 of AFTERHOURS, Danny and the celebrities regroup in the aftermath of the gunfight that killed Angel and Easy ... and in a surprising turn of events, the hostages suddenly feel empowered ...


INT. THE EXIT ROOM - MAIN LOUNGE - EARLY MORNING
Mia makes coffee, eyes red-rimmed.
Bettie and Casey sit at the bar,
in a daze.

Bettie pours a shot.
Downs it.

Pours another.
Slams it.

Pours another.

CASEY
Still trying to leave Vegas?

BETTIE
Hell, no.
That fucking shit was PUNK ROCK.
I’m sorry Easy and Angel died and shit,
but that lit the fucking spark.
I haven’t felt this alive in YEARS.
Got all kinds of music in my head.

Danny and Sky walk in.
Take seats.

DANNY
The VIP room is starting
to look like a morgue.

SKY
‘Starting to?’

DANNY
(looks at Mia)
I could go for a cup of coffee.

SKY
Make mine Irish.

DANNY
You did good, kid.

SKY
I just got into character --
and did it.

DANNY
(to Casey)
How you holding up?
You okay?

CASEY
Top of the world, Ma.

DANNY
No, seriously.
You looked spooked.

CASEY
I am.
(faint smile)
But it’s a good kinda spooked.

BETTIE
I don’t know about you,
but all this shit gave me
the kick in the ass
I fucking needed.

SKY
I know, right?
Now I don’t give a shit
what anybody thinks.
I fucked up,
so I’ll pay the price.
I’ll get clean, go to rehab.
Big fucking deal.
HIV is no longer
a death sentence, right?
I’ll be fine.
Hollywood loves a big comeback.
(beat)
I can’t believe I was
acting like such a pussy.

DANNY
So the big, bad wolf
ends up helping everybody
get their shit together.
(beat)
Sure could use some
of that myself about now --

No comments:

Post a Comment