Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sneaky Little Bitch


Happy Thursday, crime slicksters. It's time once again to take a trip to the dark side, where the girls are hot, the drinks are cold, and the hardboiled-pulp-noir action is non-stop, right here, at the coolest crime joint in cyberspace ... at That Killing Feeling.

In Chapter 23 of LEGS, Episode Two, private eye Carrie Love delivers the bad news to her client Marnie Hadar that her Israeli mobster father and brothers were killed in a shootout trying to escape ... to which Marnie has an unexpected reaction ...


INT. CARRIE’S PORSCHE - MOVING - DAY
Carrie drives down Via Marina.
Fingers a number on her cell.

INTERCUT WITH:

INT. MARNIE’S MOTEL ROOM - DAY
Marnie and Yago lie in bed under the covers,
Yago fast asleep.

Marnie lights a smoke.
Smiles dreamily.

Her cell phone on the night stand
RINGS. She grabs it.

MARNIE
This is Marnie --

CARRIE
It’s Carrie.

MARNIE
How did it go
with my dad and my brothers?

CARRIE
Not good.

MARNIE
What do you mean 'not good?'

CARRIE
They tried to escape,
we followed them to the airport and --

MARNIE
They’re dead, aren’t they.

CARRIE
I’m so sorry, Marnie.

MARNIE
Are you kidding?
That’s fucking GREAT.

CARRIE
Excuse me?

MARNIE
Now I can be with Yago.

CARRIE
Isn’t he -- your brother?

MARNIE
He’s actually my half-brother.
We have different mothers.

CARRIE
That’s why he was
living at the safe house --

MARNIE
Yeah.
When my father found out about us,
he moved Yago there and
started monitoring my every move.

CARRIE
Why didn’t you tell me about this
when we first talked?

MARNIE
Would you have taken the case?

CARRIE
Good point.
(beat)
Wait a minute.
You WANTED me to kill
your father, didn’t you.
That was the plan all along,
wasn’t it?

MARNIE
Thanks, Carrie.
You’re one hell of a private eye.
Send me your bill, okay?
Laters, baby.

She hangs up.
Carrie looks at the phone. Sighs.

Pulls out a flask.
Takes a long swig.
Wipes her mouth with her sleeve.

CARRIE (V.O.)
How do you like that.
Sneaky little bitch.
And I’ve got no way to prove it.
(another sip)
Growing up in a fucked-up family
not only fucks you up,
it fucks up every relationship
you have for the rest of your life.
It’s like you’ve been imprinted
with this dysfunctional DNA.
You can do years of therapy,
but it’s still there,
lurking under the surface.
Watching. Waiting.
Ready to fuck things up.
(beat)
Look at who I worked with on this case.
My ex-husband and the girl I left him for.
Codependent much?
And my latest client?
Fucking her brother? Hello?

She drains the flask.
Sticks in her jacket pocket.

EXT. MARINA DEL REY - SHERIFF’S STATION - DUSK
A small, brick building right on the water.

Carrie’s car pulls into
the small parking area in front.

CARRIE (V.O.)
And how about my girlfriend?
When I hear the phrase
‘healthy, adult relationship,’
the image of bailing someone out of jail
usually doesn’t come to mind --

No comments:

Post a Comment